Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long can pH hold

1. Back To Top    #1

How long can pH hold

I know I am doing the test correctly, but my pH level has remained at the same for about a week now. Is this possible or am I maybe doing it wrong. I am confident that I am doing it right and do not feel like taking a sample to the store to get tested.

So I guess my question is, how long can pH levels hold?

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long can pH hold

My PH stayed almost the same for the entire season last year. Most people see more change than that, but having PH remain the same for long periods is perfectly possible.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in the same boat as Jason. My pH stayed steady at 7.5 most of the season and so far this year it's holding steady too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm helping a friend with 22 yr old plaster pool, original plaster. When we started a month ago CH was 700 so we've kept TA low. pH was 7.5 a month ago and has remained at that. All we've added is bleach and CYA.

Mine stays pretty much the same too if I want it to be 7.5 but I'm using MA to keep it closer to 7.2 because of sequestrate, needed always, due to some iron from silt, and it is helping to lift the calcium scale and hopefully lighten the copper stains a bit.

But mine really wants to be at 7.5.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

How long can pH hold

I lowered my ph to 7.2 to help with my high ta a month ago, pool has been in use all month with swg running and it's maby 7.3 now.
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well that is good to know. I even got my wife to look at it and she said 7.5 as well. Her eyes are a little better than mine.

7. Back To Top    #7

What TA levels are of you that responded running at?
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    What TA levels are of you that responded running at?
    Sometimes it is hard to tell if there is any red color change from 90-100. Hard to tell, but I always say 90-100, but I think more so it is 90.

9. Back To Top    #9

my TA is 120 atm, lowered from 180 to start with. when i hit 120 i added borates, and now it just dosnt move! Borates are the bomb :P
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

10. Back To Top    #10

My TA is 80. No Borates.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I use no borates either.