When is TA too high?

May 17, 2010
JOLIET, IL
Well, I finally got the pool shocked enough that the CC is at 0. Now does it matter what order I add these things in (borax, stabilizer) also what do I do about the TA being so high?

FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
pH 7.2
T/A 170
CH 180

Also I'm curious how much bleach most of you need to add on a regular basis. I'm just looking to see how much bleach I'll need to keep stocked and expect to use.

Thanks!

First, you do not need to add any borax. :)

What is your CYA level?

Your TA does seem kinda high, but if your pool doesn't complain, I'd ignore it.
Are you having to add MA (annoyingly) often to lower your pH?

What is the TA of your fill water?

What test kit are you using?

sarahelaine said:
Sorry don't know how I forgot to add the CYA it's 25. We are using the TF100 kit. We haven't done anything with the pH since we opened the pool.

You lost me on the TA of the fill water. Not sure what you mean.
Well, if your fill water is high TA your pool water will be, too.
But, if you aren't having problems with your pH rising, I still suggest you leave the TA where it is for now.

Where are you located - city and state. You could put this info in your profile :)

You can add the CYA now. What CYA level are you aiming for? I suggest the sock method in front of a return if you think that you may need to backwash within the next week.

Also I'm curious how much bleach most of you need to add on a regular basis. I'm just looking to see how much bleach I'll need to keep stocked and expect to use.
I lose about 2.5 ish FC daily so I add about 3 quarts (small jug) each evening. My pool is not covered.

If you're using a Taylor or TF kit to test TA, and it comes out unusually high, the first thing to suspect is a problem where the drops of R-0009 are unusually small or uneven in size. Redo the TA test, and this time wipe the dropper tip with a damp clean cloth every 3-4 drops.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.