Spider gasket questions

May 17, 2010
Replaced spider gasket but still having problems. When I went to backwash put in back in filter and water is still coming out as if it was in backwash trickling out the pipe. Had this problem before with water also coming out the top where you turn to the settings. Always turn pump off before moving. Water was leaking out the top but replaced the spider gasket and that seemed to help but every time I backwash a new issue. Can the gasket move or not be lined up right? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. Help

It is fairly easy to get a spider gasket it correctly and usually obvious when you do it wrong, so that isn't the first place I would look.

There is also a spring and a couple of shaft seals that need to be working correctly. If the spring isn't pushing firmly the spider gasket and the other piece it pushes against can move apart and let water through that way. There are also shaft seals on the shaft the wagon wheel rotates on, both on the top and the bottom, that can cause leaks if they are damaged or missing.

Thanks would the spring need replacing or the shaft seals? And where would you get those? I is sometimes very hard to turn it grinds. I suspect it is either the sring or shaft seals. Can you just adjust the spring or seals?

I had the same leak in two separate scenarios, and I believe the short answer is to glue down the gasket.

The first time, I simply replaced my spider gasket. This worked until I moved the valve, then I had the leak again. I'd take apart the valve, reset, and everything would be fine until I moved the valve (like in backwashing). So I glued down the (flat part) of the gasket to the valve housing with a silicone adhesive (RTV, I think) and this worked for a while.

On a second occasion, the ridges on my valve housing had been deformed so that they were no longer straight up. I couldn't get the gasket to stay seated, even with the silicone. The fix in my case was a (somewhat) special adhesive is required, but I forgot what my pool service folks used (sorry on that point).

b/r

The schematic for your filter is found here.
http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/manuals.cfm#FiltersSand

Select your model filter and open the .pdf file. Scroll down and it will show the diagram for your filter. Its a good idea to only use Hayward replacement parts. A properly assymbled unit should not leak, and should not require glue or adhesive. Retrace your steps , look for worn or missing parts.

I have a hayward sand filter and have had this problem but was corrected by simply rotating the selector ( I always go clockwise ) and the trickle stoppped.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.