Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spider gasket questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Spider gasket questions

Replaced spider gasket but still having problems. When I went to backwash put in back in filter and water is still coming out as if it was in backwash trickling out the pipe. Had this problem before with water also coming out the top where you turn to the settings. Always turn pump off before moving. Water was leaking out the top but replaced the spider gasket and that seemed to help but every time I backwash a new issue. Can the gasket move or not be lined up right? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. Help
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spider gasket questions

It is fairly easy to get a spider gasket it correctly and usually obvious when you do it wrong, so that isn't the first place I would look.

There is also a spring and a couple of shaft seals that need to be working correctly. If the spring isn't pushing firmly the spider gasket and the other piece it pushes against can move apart and let water through that way. There are also shaft seals on the shaft the wagon wheel rotates on, both on the top and the bottom, that can cause leaks if they are damaged or missing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks would the spring need replacing or the shaft seals? And where would you get those? I is sometimes very hard to turn it grinds. I suspect it is either the sring or shaft seals. Can you just adjust the spring or seals?
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the same leak in two separate scenarios, and I believe the short answer is to glue down the gasket.

The first time, I simply replaced my spider gasket. This worked until I moved the valve, then I had the leak again. I'd take apart the valve, reset, and everything would be fine until I moved the valve (like in backwashing). So I glued down the (flat part) of the gasket to the valve housing with a silicone adhesive (RTV, I think) and this worked for a while.

On a second occasion, the ridges on my valve housing had been deformed so that they were no longer straight up. I couldn't get the gasket to stay seated, even with the silicone. The fix in my case was a (somewhat) special adhesive is required, but I forgot what my pool service folks used (sorry on that point).

b/r
    30K gallon, inground w/integral spa, blue/gray plaster; Pentair Intelliflo pump, D.E. filter, Ultraflow UV generator, Hayward tab chlorinator, Polaris 360, Raypak propane

"As long as you are in the seat...Make a Difference"
    ---Captain James T. Kirk, circa 2293

5. Back To Top    #5

The schematic for your filter is found here.
    http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/p...fm#FiltersSand

Select your model filter and open the .pdf file. Scroll down and it will show the diagram for your filter. Its a good idea to only use Hayward replacement parts. A properly assymbled unit should not leak, and should not require glue or adhesive. Retrace your steps , look for worn or missing parts.

I have a hayward sand filter and have had this problem but was corrected by simply rotating the selector ( I always go clockwise ) and the trickle stoppped.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks took it out and turned it upside down seems to have solved the problem for now believe the last one was in wrong.
    Central, VA

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by koliver13
    Thanks took it out and turned it upside down seems to have solved the problem for now believe the last one was in wrong.
    What did you do when you turned it upside down? Did you replace something? I am having the same problem. I have to open the multiport valve every time I move it.
    18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thought it was fine with turning upside down but backwashed today and leaking again haven't solved the problem yet. Need to take off and use some sealant petrolum jelly I guess.
    Central, VA

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't use petroleum jelly. Get silicon pool lube. Petroleum jelly will swell and ruin rubber and most plastics.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Bama Rambler for the advice I try the silicon pool lube.
    Central, VA