loud pump noise...save this grandma from a heart attack!

May 23, 2010
I am new to pool ownership, new to forums in general and this one in particular. I'm at a loss...and a crossroad between crying hystically and running as far away from this pool as I can get. It is the "pool from heck" one thing leads to another and now my pump just started making a LOUD noise...not a clanking, but motor noise. Heres the senerio. Opened pool way too early and got full of whilly's, leaves, etc. Sta Rite filter PXC150 on a 28' round ag pool with a 1.5 hp waterford pump. My son came over and installed a 2x20 solar panel that I got for free. I knew I'd need to add a 4X20 to it. So, everything is going along okay. I took the 3 yr old cart. out and cleaned it up pretty good. Running at 10 psi before and after cleaning.
I figured i may as well get a new cart. and start off right. I did not turn the pump on for a few days waiting for new filter.
Lots of "gunk" running thru it and I didn't want the old filter to not do the job and put to much strain on my pump. Yesterday, I turned it on because the water was getting green. Started making a horrible loud noise. Ran right down to pool store to get new cart. When i put in new cart. still making a loud noise. I ck'd the cart. again and made sure it was seated down into the filter good. When I did so, it moved down and "seated" into the bottom. I then knew that that did not happen when I reinserted the old cart after cleaning! my son ck'd all the ports, valve's etc. Pump was working, had great return. So why the noise???? I can't even tell you how much this "inexpensive, used pool" has cost to date. It has become the "money pit" and everytime I think I've gotten to the end, its something else. Please someone help me! My next search is for "dynamite". I've got my 82 yr old parents arriving this weekend and they are expecting to see this pool up and running and the great grandchildren enjoying it!!!

Welcome to TFP :wave:

The noise is most likely the motor bearings. They can be replaced relitively easily. You can run it making noise but you never know when they're going to fail completely and lock up the pump. An electric motor shop can replace them for you or your local pool store can usually do it too. Your filter had nothing to do with the noise it was just a coincidence.

You'd be smart to read Pool school and take control of your pool.

I will definately try to find a motor repair place on Monday! Thankyou so much for your advise. I'd read and read all the posts ect for over 3 hours last night and with my limited knowledge of mechanical things, I was afraid it was that. I forgot to metion that while the pump was off, it rained and filled my pool up clear past the skimmer! Could that possibly have caused the problem? I did get the water drained down to the proper level but noise persisted.

UPDATE Good news. The guy that installed my pool is going to fix the motor(he too said it was probably berrings) and I'm dropping it off at his house today and it'll be ready tomorrow!! Somewhere i read the best way to connect 2 solars panels together but can't find it anywhere! Something about inline wasn't the best way to do it??? please help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.