Pool pump size

crabboy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Pool experts:

I know this topic has been beaten to death at times and I’ve searched the usual places for answers, but nothing I’ve found has really set me at ease.

My PB has installed a 1HP pump for my new pool (still under construction) and I was originally a bit upset about this and I was going to request a larger one. I've done a bit of reading that may have changed my mind, but the more I read about bigger is not better, I also find that smaller is often not enough. Anyway, think I’m ok with the smaller pump, I’d just run it longer and it will save me a bit of $$$, but I’m no expert and some other opinions would be nice.

The pump is a 1hp Jandy Stealth with a 2” pipe to the returns where it T’s of into 2 - 1 1/2” pipes for the returns (2). 2 – skimmers with separate 2” piping back to the pump and one main 2” main drain. I’d say about 30-50’ of piping (from pump to pool).

I don’t know my gallonage, the pool is roughly a 16x38 or so, 3 1/2 to 7 1/2 feet deep.

No water features, the slide has a separate 2hp pump, all plumbed separate and there is a 3/4 HP booster pump for the cleaner, return on the cleaner is 1 1/2 inch.

I know you're going to ask about the filter, but I don't have the specs with me at the moment. I know it's a Jandy CL series, not sure about the size.

I’ve got another payment due soon, so now would be the time to bring it up if it will be an issue.

TIA

That pump should be just fine. If that is the 1 HP full rated version you could even go a little smaller. You could also opt for a two speed pump to save electricity and still have high speed as an option. As long as you are only using the pump for normal circulation, you only need a small pump.

One more question.

What's with the 1" flexible hose for the booster pump and wimpy looking clips? Why didn't they just use the rigid pipe with the unions as with the other pumps? Just seems like a point of failure.

crabboy said:
One more question.

What's with the 1" flexible hose for the booster pump and wimpy looking clips? Why didn't they just use the rigid pipe with the unions as with the other pumps? Just seems like a point of failure.

Good question. That is exactly how my booster pump is plumbed (new pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.