Air in Basket & Exiting Out of Returns

May 22, 2010
Clermont, Florida
I am in need of assistance. My hubby wants to fill in the pool! :cry: We have replaced and lubed orings in strainer basket lid, the control valves, the seal diffuser, we replaced the seal plate gasket. We reglued all joints on the suction side. We still have air in basket and coming from returns. The inline chlorinator does not seem to be working.

Welcomed to TFP :wave: We can help get this fixed.

One common place to get air into the system is the skimmer weir sticking sucking air in. Take a look in the top of the skimmer when the pump is running and see if there is a vortex.

Yes there is definitely a vortex. We ran water over all the pipes and joints with the hose and also tried a dripping wet towel. Nothing changed with the bubbles. We resealed all joints and checked the drain plugs too. We are at a loss of what to try next. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

If possible turn off the skimmer and just suction from the main drain. If that solves the air problem try adding the water hose to the skimmer like mentioned before. The idea is to disturb the little whirlpool so it cant suck air into the line. If that works then increasing the water level a bit may solve your problem.

Yahoo!!!! :-D We broke down and called a pool company to come out. He replaced the fitting that leads to the pump, It took about 10 minutes. NO MORE AIR BUBBLES!!!!!! Cost was $100. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Now I just have to clear up the water. :) I have found a new way to spend my time online, this site ROCKS. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I have this same problem. I know I have some leaks in the lines. If those are fixed will the bubbles stop? Does having the bubbles all the time raise the PH? this is a problem I should have fixed, yes? What is the best way to fix the leaks? Can you just seal w/ sealant or do you have to cut and replace the portion of the pipe? thanks

It really depends on where your leak is. Suction side of the pump if you have air bubbles in the strainer basket at the pump. These lines would include main drain and skimmer lines only. If the lines are threaded , they might be able to be sealed with teflon paste. If the threads are damaged they may not ever seal. If its a PVC glue connection the only way to seal it would be to cut out the joint and replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.