New Intex 18x52 pool.

lk

May 22, 2010
North Augusta SC
Need help to balance water.
Water is getting green and fuzzy.
First day added 175 lb Morton salt from Walmart, 1.5 lb Cyanuric Acid.
and shocked/Boost 2 times with a Intex SWG.
I run the pump and filter 6-7 hours and the SWG 5 hours daily overnight. I wash the filter every 2nd day it cloges up with a brownish paste or powder and bugs.Vacuum the pool floor every day. Sediments show up next day even if the pool is not used.I am thinking to use a skimmer sock it may help to filtrate the small particles.
Two weeks old pool test Results:

pH -7.2
TA - 15
FC - .7
TC - .8
CH - 28
CYA - 14

Pool store test results are scarry.

They recommended 6 cups Baking Soda and 1.5 lb Cyanuric Acid.
I added 3 Quarts of Bleach 6% also.
Please advise.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We'll try to get your pool tuned up.

Do you have your own test kit, or are you relying just on the pool store? At the very least you need to be able to test your own pH and chlorine.

The pool store's advice so far is fine, raising your TA and CYA up to reasonable levels. But you also need to keep a a reasonable FC (free chlorine) level. So far your SWG isn't able to keep up, mainly because the CYA is too low. The additional 1.5 lb should help with that. Note that it can take as long as a week for CYA to dissolve completely, so don't start panicking if you get the water tested again sooner than that.

Let us know what you've done, and we should be able to help you out.
--paulr

lk said:
Need help to balance water.
Water is getting green and fuzzy.
First day added 175 lb Morton salt from Walmart, 1.5 lb Cyanuric Acid.
and shocked/Boost 2 times with a Intex SWG.
I run the pump and filter 6-7 hours and the SWG 5 hours daily overnight. I wash the filter every 2nd day it cloges up with a brownish paste or powder and bugs.Vacuum the pool floor every day. Sediments show up next day even if the pool is not used.I am thinking to use a skimmer sock it may help to filtrate the small particles.
Two weeks old pool test Results:

pH -7.2
TA - 15
FC - .7
TC - .8
CH - 28
CYA - 14

Pool store test results are scarry.

They recommended 6 cups Baking Soda and 1.5 lb Cyanuric Acid.
I added 3 Quarts of Bleach 6% also.
Please advise.

Thanks so much for responding.
My results differ from the store ones.
I'm testing with the Intex strip test and Aqua Chem liquid OTO and Phenol Red.

Strip test results before and after shock are almost the same.

pH -7.6
TA - 120
FC – 5.
TC – don't have
CH - don't have
CYA - don't have
COPPER - 0

Aqua Chem test results are:

pH -7.2 after 10 seconds
-8.2 after 3 minutes
TA - don't have
FC – 5.
TC – don't have
CH - don't have
CYA - don't have

Water is greenish brown but clear.
I should run the pump/filter and SWG continuously until the water is clear and CYA dissolves perhaps
1 week or daily 6-7 hours? Used an old sock for the CYA granules and worked with my hands until dissolved in the pool water , brushed and vacuumed the pool after for more dispersion .
I should consider a skimmer sock not recommended by the store?

Thank you very much.

[attachment=2:2prw2miu]P5220313 b.jpg[/attachment:2prw2miu][attachment=0:2prw2miu]P5220318 b.jpg[/attachment:2prw2miu]

3 more picks

Attachments

• P5220313 b.jpg
    P5220313 b.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 222
  • P5220314 b.jpg
    P5220314 b.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 222
  • P5220318 b.jpg
    P5220318 b.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 222
I suspect cooper staining also.
The Intex SWG CS8110 Model 2010 has a Copper electrode beside
chlorine cells, Intel claims Copper ions is an algaecide.
Forum members have mentioned to eliminate this electrode for the above reason.
Is this a good idea?
The sock I used yesterday to dissolve Cyan uric Acid got brownish stains overnight and
can't wash it out.
Just disappointed.
Cooper strip test = 0

Hello!
Used a pantyhose (not a dedicated skimmer basket sock I know) over the skimmer basket overnight and just changed it earlier . Here is what I washed out of it.
Is this rust , copper stain ,algae or what?

I thank you guys for any response.[attachment=1:12gvjb86]P5230320 b.jpg[/attachment:12gvjb86]

Attachments

• P5230320 b.jpg
    P5230320 b.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 213
  • P5230319 b.jpg
    P5230319 b.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 213
No, floc works best on particles that make the water cloudy, but this water isn't cloudy.

I am concerned because the test results are all over the place and I have no idea which one to believe. You will save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run if you get your own top quality test kit. I recommend the TF-100 from TFTestKits.Net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. Reliable results will save you a great deal in avoiding problems and not adding chemicals which aren't needed.

I can't really see the coloring in the photos, the water just looks clear. Plus digital photo colors can be very different on different displays.

If the water is tinted yellow/brown you could have iron in the water. Copper would tint the water bright emerald green. Pollen can also tint the water, but that generally goes away if you maintain proper FC levels.

If it is iron, adding a startup dose of sequestrant will clear things up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you PaulR,JasonLion,Ohm_Boy
Pool store
Iron test results = 0
Total dissolved solids =0
Saturation index =-2.06 normal is -.3 to .3 ppm and they say is corrosive.
Calcium hardness is very low 28 .In a vinyl pool I understand dosenmatter.

I'm posting a new picture with the water sedimenting down.
This water is from the skimmer sock (pantyhose) squised out after replacing it.I have the same stuff in the filter and filter housing.The same sediment is on bottom of the pool after not using it for few ours.

JasonLion I think you are right.It may be pollen and the low clorine level not inagh to dissolve it. I have lots of pine trees around the pool.The same time my neighbors pool around me are pristine crystal clear.
I will invest in a TF-100 test kit soon.
I should circulate the water trough the skimmer (which I am doing it)or strainer grid? The more dirthiest water is 3 inches from the top somebody mentioned in the forum isn't?

Attachments

• P5230322 b.jpg
    P5230322 b.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 194
I also have an intek pool. The best things I've done for the pool is 1.) Bought a hayward sand filter with a 60gpm pump. 2.) join this forum as a lifetime supporter because this method works. 3.) purchased a TF-50 test kit, which I will upgrade to a TF-100 soon.
Keep after it. I look forward to clear water pictures.

I'm boost-ing with the Intex SWG for over 24 h.
I will turn off tomorrow morning.
Test results
FC-5 or more
pH-7.6

Water improved a little .
I changed the water circulation from skimming to strainer grid inlet, it has a bigger suction
this way. It circulates more water definitely. Filter got very dirty with the brownish stuff and just changed it .
Pollen and rust that what it looks like.
What is floc and startup dose of sequestrant ?
Where can I buy it?
I really appreciate your comments.

Floc is a chemical designed to cause all of the particles that are suspended in the water to clump together and sink to the bottom of the pool, after which you vacuum them up.

Sequestrant is a chemical designed to bind to dissolved metals in the water and prevent them from causing stains.

Both are available from pool stores under a variety of brand names. Personally, I don't think you need either one.

Thank you very much JasonLion.
New testing
pH -7.2
TA - 40
FC - 3
TC - 3
CH - 70
CYA - 0?

Im back on 7 h regular filtration and 6 h SWG.
Water continues to improve but is far from Crystal clear blueish color what I like.
Any automatic vacuum sugestion for Intex type AGP pools?
How can I mount a external skimmer for Intex and circulate together with the strainer grid inlet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.