pool light doesn't work

giulietta1

In The Industry
Mar 29, 2007
Knippa, Texas
There is a light fixture in my pool but it hasn't worked during the time I've lived in the house. I'm not even sure how to turn it on; maybe it's on the same circuit as the overhead light. I haven't a clue how to change the bulb.

I don't know if anyone here can help me without actually seeing the light, or at least a picture of it. It would help if someone could tell me how such things typically work. . .

It's not a major problem since I have an overhead light, but it would be nice to get it working. TIA for any advice.

Before touching the light you want to be very sure that the power is turned off. Never touch the light unless you are quite sure the power is off.

The light is usually secured in place with one or more screws. Once you remove the screws there should be a sealed unit that can be removed from the niche. Hopefully the cable is long enough to allow you to lift the unit onto the deck, it usually is. Once on the deck there will be some way of opening the sealed unit to get at the bulb. This usually involves more screws. Then you can replace the bulb. When sealing the unit back up you usually need to replace the gasket. Reverse the other steps to get it back into it's niche with the cable coiled behind the light.

You can turn it on while it is on the deck to be sure it is working, but don't leave it on for more than 30 seconds when it is out of the water. Also, don't remove it from the water or replace it in the water when the power is on. After replacing it in the water watch for bubbles coming from the unit. If you didn't get the seal right it will probably bubble a little.

I'm a novice pool owner; however this site has given me so much information I'm almost at intermediate level. This is my first post actually giving advice, so take it with a grain of salt.

However, I had the same issue only a few days ago. I finally found the light switch for the light. It was not anywhere I would have expected. Look around the pool area for anything electrical in nature; especially small boxes with flip up lids. I found the switch under the flip up lid near the pool. I now enjoy the beauty of swimming at night with only the pool light on! Good luck!

cbelle said:
I had the same issue only a few days ago. I finally found the light switch for the light. . . I found the switch under the flip up lid near the pool. I now enjoy the beauty of swimming at night with only the pool light on! Good luck!

Thank you for the tip! My pool is a little unusual, tho; the previous owner of the house (and pool) did a lot of his own wiring and plumbing. Unfortunately some of it is NOT up to code!! The circuit breaker with the fan, overhead light, and booster pump often trips. The main pump is on a separate circuit, tho, and that has only tripped once while I've been in residence (almost 8 mos).

The pool has a gravel surround, not a paved deck; there's wooden decking around one end. I haven't seen any flip-up lids around, but there could be some tricky little switch I haven't found that works that in-pool light! I think it's most likely that it's on the circuit with one of those switches by the door, tho.

If I have a chance to ask the previous homeowner, I will try to remember this!! I should keep a list. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.