Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Twist Lock Plug Vs. Hard Wire

1. Back To Top    #1

Twist Lock Plug Vs. Hard Wire

Hey everyone,

My electrician just told me that it meets code in our area to use a Twist Lock Plug for the pool pumps. So I have a choice, Twist Lock or go for the Hard Wire. Any reason why Twist Lock is not as good as the Hard Wire?

Thanks!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Twist Lock Plug Vs. Hard Wire

Twist lock is nice if you take the pump indoors for the winter. Hardwire is more reliable and just slightly safer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I'd prefer a twist-lock. Then I'd have a convenient source of 220V out back. I have no plans now, but someday I may need to plug in an air compressor or a welder.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Null, as long as it meets code, go with the twistlock!!

If you want some of the reasons, simply ask.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! Electrician has been notified
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain