Finally done shocking

Butterfly said:
Good job, Chris :)

Have you seen this article? pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Thanks for the reply. I just re-read the post and am thinking that I should start to get the CYA up there.

My questions:
Do the TA and CYA adjustments need to be made independently of each other or can I go after both?

With pool still clearing and a backwash or two in the near future, does CYA in a sock get backwashed out or will it dissipate into the water?

Lastly, is there an article on the proper way to backwash a sand filter? I've got, backwash, rinse .... multiport, and was told when it was installed to backwash 5 minutes, rinse 30 seconds, return to filter. The backwash water is often clear after 2 minutes and following the rinse, I can often see particles floating in the clear top piece that holds the pressure gauge. So I wonder if I'm potentially missing a better way.

Chris

You can lower TA and raise CYA at the same time.

With a backwash coming up, I would add CYA by putting it in a sock and hanging that sock in front of a return. Then you can backwash as needed.

Backwashing sand is easy. Start backwashing, wait several seconds for the water in the sight glass to turn dirty, then continue backwashing until it is running clear again, then rinse for 30 seconds.

According to the Pool Calculator I need 1 gallon and 2 qts. to lower my TA.

I read the article about "slugging" the pool but am unclear as to how to proceed.

Is there a min/max amount of MA to add? I know this is a process of lowering pH and then letting it rise but what is a good amount of MA to add initially and where/what is the proper place and "style" to add it?

chrisjb8685 said:
According to the Pool Calculator I need 1 gallon and 2 qts. to lower my TA.

I read the article about "slugging" the pool but am unclear as to how to proceed.

Is there a min/max amount of MA to add? I know this is a process of lowering pH and then letting it rise but what is a good amount of MA to add initially and where/what is the proper place and "style" to add it?
Min is none. Max is whatever it takes to get the pH down around 7.2.

Adding the acid is open to a variety of techniques. But we all agree it needs to get mixed well.

It has been 24 hours since I added 1 gal. MA

TA has gone from 190 to 150

My target is 80.

pH is at 7.2 and with a vinyl liner I'm nervous about going much lower.

With the pool calculator, after I enter my TA "now" and "target" numbers nothing shows up in the calculation. (Does that calculation only work when raising TA?)

Do I just allow the pH to rise back up to 7.5 ish, and then follow the pool calc. guide for lowering pH to 7.2 and assume that the TA drop will be around 30 -40 parts for each gallon like it already has or do I need to test daily for TA until I hit my target?

I have followed the advice and have simply poured the MA in very slowly in front of a return in the deep end, and will continue to do it that way.

Chris

P.S. How do I attach/upload pictures?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drop pH, aerate back up. Repeat. TA will come down.

When using pool calculator, sometimes you have to go down to the next input before it changes the listing on whatever you want to change.

Attaching pictures is easy. Be sure you're using "full editor," not just the quick reply. There will be a box to click somewhere underneath to switch modes. In Full Editor, below the text box there a space that says "Upload attachment." Mind the 256k file size limit - you'll probably have to resize modern digital camera files, as they can get 20X bigger no problem.

You've got it. You are correct about the Pool Calculator, it only tells what to add, to subtract TA you have to work it down by dropping pH to 7.2 then aerating to get it to rise again, then repeat. Use the Calculator each time, with the current pH and the new TA, before adding MA again. The effect of MA is different as the TA gets lower. Next time you may get same 7.2 pH with much less volume of MA. Which of course means that if you just drop in another gallon you could go too low.

How are you aerating?

anonapersona said:
. Use the Calculator each time, with the current pH and the new TA, before adding MA again. The effect of MA is different as the TA gets lower. Next time you may get same 7.2 pH with much less volume of MA. Which of course means that if you just drop in another gallon you could go too low.

How are you aerating?

Thanks for all of the help both with the TA and picture upload. It all makes sense.

For aeration I have two of my 4 returns pointing up and also have SWG. Should I turn all four return eyes up? (Will that affect circulation too much?)
Chris

Richard320 said:
Attaching pictures is easy. Be sure you're using "full editor," not just the quick reply. There will be a box to click somewhere underneath to switch modes. In Full Editor, below the text box there a space that says "Upload attachment." Mind the 256k file size

Thanks Richard, I think I got it. I'll try to post a pic of the pool later.

chrisjb8685 said:
For aeration I have two of my 4 returns pointing up and also have SWG. Should I turn all four return eyes up? (Will that affect circulation too much?)
Chris

I don't know about circulation, how is the pH doing? If is it not changing then perhaps you will need more aeration.

The more breaking of the surface you have the quicker the pH level will rise. When I had mine I had all 3 of my returns pointed up and the pH would rise in a few days. The quicker the pH level rises, the quicker you can add the acid and get TA level down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.