"Redneck Pool Heater"

Lolly

Jun 6, 2009
Concord NC
So we're finally going to break down and get a propane heater for the pool. The solar panels just aren't cutting it, especially this time of year. While doing our research, we came across this:

http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

At first glance it seems ridiculous, even funny. But once you read through everything...hmmmmm. Considering that we're probably looking at at least $1600+ for a propane heater, I believe hubby is actually mulling this over. He is, after all, proud to be a redneck! I'm hoping he's kidding.

Off Topic..

Is that an Australian Cattle Dog? We have two little girls, a few months old, that are so much fun. They are quite a change for us after having a pack of Mastiffs and a few Rotties sprinkled in for 30 years. Don't want to leave out Cissy Briard, French sheep herder protector. She wasn't hyper but never walked anywhere and spent most of her waking hours attempting to keep the pack in line. Girls haven't started herding us yet but I guess it is coming. Actually the two Labradoodle puppies we brought home spring 09 has helped to prepare us for our high energy bundles of joy. Girls don't miss a thing and are even smarter than the Doodles. Jake Mastiff, 17 mo.s, and still a big puppy, is their special Manny.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
Off Topic..

Is that an Australian Cattle Dog? We have two little girls, a few months old, that are so much fun. They are quite a change for us after having a pack of Mastiffs and a few Rotties sprinkled in for 30 years. Don't want to leave out Cissy Briard, French sheep herder protector. She wasn't hyper but never walked anywhere and spent most of her waking hours attempting to keep the pack in line. Girls haven't started herding us yet but I guess it is coming. Actually the two Labradoodle puppies we brought home spring 09 has helped to prepare us for our high energy bundles of joy. Girls don't miss a thing and are even smarter than the Doodles. Jake Mastiff, 17 mo.s, and still a big puppy, is their special Manny.

gg=alice

Hi! Yes, that's Logan, our blue ACD. We also have a red girl, Maggie Mae. Yes, they are VERY smart and energetic! Logan especially! Maggie is more prissy. :thequeen: I always joke that after having cattle dogs, my next dog will be a Mastiff! Funny! Did you get your girls from a breeder? I know a bunch of ACD people in Texas and all over from an ACD forum I'm on. Hope your girls enjoy the pool as much as ours do! We always joke that it's a Dog Pool and we are just their "Pool Boys." :whip:

The original redneck pool heater was drastically inefficient. Their "Cajun Conversion" is better and could be used, but it is still much less efficient than a real pool heater.

When you factor in the cost of gas to run the heater, getting a real pool heater will save you a lot of money. It takes huge amounts of heat to warm up a pool. That means huge amounts of gas, which ends up costing quite a bit. Even the "Cajun Conversion" is at best only half the efficiency of a real pool heater. Saving 50% on your gas bill is going to be a significant amount of money.

That was great :lol: I saw a website once with another "redneck" pool heater, this guy used a metal 50 gallon trash can :goodjob: with coils wrapped inside it and a wood fire built inside :mrgreen: . It was heating a large above ground pool

Lolly said:
So we're finally going to break down and get a propane heater for the pool. The solar panels just aren't cutting it, especially this time of year. While doing our research, we came across this:

http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

At first glance it seems ridiculous, even funny. But once you read through everything...hmmmmm. Considering that we're probably looking at at least $1600+ for a propane heater, I believe hubby is actually mulling this over. He is, after all, proud to be a redneck! I'm hoping he's kidding.
I am curious as to why your solar panels are not working out. What is the sq footage of your pool and how much sq footage of solar panels do you have? What direction are the panels facing? Are you using a solar cover?

I have no problem bring our pool temp to 100degs, however we only bring it up to 97degs when we are expected to do night swims. I set the thermostat to 88deg with a solar cover on during the week and when we get hm after work the pool is at 92 degrees. :cheers: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.