Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Redneck Pool Heater"

1. Back To Top    #1

"Redneck Pool Heater"

So we're finally going to break down and get a propane heater for the pool. The solar panels just aren't cutting it, especially this time of year. While doing our research, we came across this:

http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

At first glance it seems ridiculous, even funny. But once you read through everything...hmmmmm. Considering that we're probably looking at at least $1600+ for a propane heater, I believe hubby is actually mulling this over. He is, after all, proud to be a redneck! I'm hoping he's kidding.
    13.5K gal IG vinyl, Hayward 1 HP pump, 20"-ish sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Redneck Pool Heater"

Off Topic..

Is that an Australian Cattle Dog? We have two little girls, a few months old, that are so much fun. They are quite a change for us after having a pack of Mastiffs and a few Rotties sprinkled in for 30 years. Don't want to leave out Cissy Briard, French sheep herder protector. She wasn't hyper but never walked anywhere and spent most of her waking hours attempting to keep the pack in line. Girls haven't started herding us yet but I guess it is coming. Actually the two Labradoodle puppies we brought home spring 09 has helped to prepare us for our high energy bundles of joy. Girls don't miss a thing and are even smarter than the Doodles. Jake Mastiff, 17 mo.s, and still a big puppy, is their special Manny.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

3. Back To Top    #3

Hank Hill would be proud..............
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    Off Topic..

Is that an Australian Cattle Dog? We have two little girls, a few months old, that are so much fun. They are quite a change for us after having a pack of Mastiffs and a few Rotties sprinkled in for 30 years. Don't want to leave out Cissy Briard, French sheep herder protector. She wasn't hyper but never walked anywhere and spent most of her waking hours attempting to keep the pack in line. Girls haven't started herding us yet but I guess it is coming. Actually the two Labradoodle puppies we brought home spring 09 has helped to prepare us for our high energy bundles of joy. Girls don't miss a thing and are even smarter than the Doodles. Jake Mastiff, 17 mo.s, and still a big puppy, is their special Manny.

gg=alice
    Hi! Yes, that's Logan, our blue ACD. We also have a red girl, Maggie Mae. Yes, they are VERY smart and energetic! Logan especially! Maggie is more prissy. I always joke that after having cattle dogs, my next dog will be a Mastiff! Funny! Did you get your girls from a breeder? I know a bunch of ACD people in Texas and all over from an ACD forum I'm on. Hope your girls enjoy the pool as much as ours do! We always joke that it's a Dog Pool and we are just their "Pool Boys."
    13.5K gal IG vinyl, Hayward 1 HP pump, 20"-ish sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

The original redneck pool heater was drastically inefficient. Their "Cajun Conversion" is better and could be used, but it is still much less efficient than a real pool heater.

When you factor in the cost of gas to run the heater, getting a real pool heater will save you a lot of money. It takes huge amounts of heat to warm up a pool. That means huge amounts of gas, which ends up costing quite a bit. Even the "Cajun Conversion" is at best only half the efficiency of a real pool heater. Saving 50% on your gas bill is going to be a significant amount of money.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

That was great I saw a website once with another "redneck" pool heater, this guy used a metal 50 gallon trash can with coils wrapped inside it and a wood fire built inside . It was heating a large above ground pool
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly
    So we're finally going to break down and get a propane heater for the pool. The solar panels just aren't cutting it, especially this time of year. While doing our research, we came across this:

http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

At first glance it seems ridiculous, even funny. But once you read through everything...hmmmmm. Considering that we're probably looking at at least $1600+ for a propane heater, I believe hubby is actually mulling this over. He is, after all, proud to be a redneck! I'm hoping he's kidding.
    I am curious as to why your solar panels are not working out. What is the sq footage of your pool and how much sq footage of solar panels do you have? What direction are the panels facing? Are you using a solar cover?

I have no problem bring our pool temp to 100degs, however we only bring it up to 97degs when we are expected to do night swims. I set the thermostat to 88deg with a solar cover on during the week and when we get hm after work the pool is at 92 degrees.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade