Skimmer and Jet Return Closing Ideas

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Hi Everyone:

Its raining here, and I was thinking about what all I should be trying for this fall closing, I know, a little early, but I want to insure I have some new items shipped up from the states and might as well do it now.

I am looking at a skimmer cover, the type they say wont allow any water in, and also, the duckbilled return plugs that allow the lines to be blown out, but no water to go back in.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Opening-a ... ool-Valve/

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Opening-a ... und-Pools/

Anyone ever use these, are they ok, a waste of time and money?

Rik

Up here in Michigan the only way to close is to get the chlorine up high balance the pH, drain the water level a couple inches below the lowest hole in the wall. Then using any kind of cover for the skimmer (my father in-law took out the skimmer and screwed in a piece of plywood) and/or return lines keeps things from getting in there. Then cover the entire pool.

I'm in Minnesota. I remove the return jets. Then plug in my shop vac into a Tee in the line after my heater and before my three return valves. It has with a screw in cap in the Tee so I attach my vac to blow out the lines. I open one line at a time. When the vac has cleared the line, I plug it with a 1 1/4 PVC plug, wrapped with plenty of teflon tape, with the vac still running. doing the same for the rest of the returns. In the skimmer basket I have plastic expansion plugs, and blow them out the same way. I blow out the main drain and close the valve and remove the handle with the vac running. With the lines cleared, I pour RV antifreeze in each line, except the main drain. Then I open all valves and pressurize the lines with the Vac. With the vac going, I close all valves trapping the pressure in the lines. Then I remove all the drain plugs from my pump and heater. I further plug the line inside the pump basket housing with an expanding rubber plug. I remove my light and place it under my diving board. Sometimes my pool company would let it sit on the bottom of the pool, but as the seals get older you risk water getting in the light. Then I drain and clean the filter housing and filters and store the filters in the housing ready to next season. All this takes about an hour. My pool company wants $159 for this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.