Solar blanket storage when not in use

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I just purchased a new solar blanket and cut it into 3 sections for my free form pool. I didn't get a reel because of the pool shape and no place to put it. So I've been putting it on/off manually. So far it's working out ok. Really saves on heat loss! Probably takes about 10 minutes to take off and 15 minutes to put back on.

My question is what do to with it while it's off. The instructions say to keep it out of the sun and not over 120 degrees. I was thinking of one of those deck storage boxes (Suncast). That would certainly keep it out of the sun. But would it get too hot in there? Anyone else use these for storage of their solar blanket while not in use?

run53 said:
I was thinking of one of those deck storage boxes (Suncast). That would certainly keep it out of the sun. But would it get too hot in there? Anyone else use these for storage of their solar blanket while not in use?

I do...and it's awesome....just drill some small holes in the botton to allow for drainage...used it for winter storage too. Ours sit on a sunny deck and does not get much hotter than outside temp and keeps the sun off of it. Another option, although not that great looking, would be using a light colored heavy drop cloth to keep the sun rays off the cover, but can blow off in windy conditions.

dmanb2b said:
run53 said:
I was thinking of one of those deck storage boxes (Suncast). That would certainly keep it out of the sun. But would it get too hot in there? Anyone else use these for storage of their solar blanket while not in use?

I do...and it's awesome....just drill some small holes in the botton to allow for drainage...used it for winter storage too. Ours sit on a sunny deck and does not get much hotter than outside temp and keeps the sun off of it. Another option, although not that great looking, would be using a light colored heavy drop cloth to keep the sun rays off the cover, but can blow off in windy conditions.

Great, that's good to know, thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.