Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar blanket storage when not in use

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar blanket storage when not in use

I just purchased a new solar blanket and cut it into 3 sections for my free form pool. I didn't get a reel because of the pool shape and no place to put it. So I've been putting it on/off manually. So far it's working out ok. Really saves on heat loss! Probably takes about 10 minutes to take off and 15 minutes to put back on.

My question is what do to with it while it's off. The instructions say to keep it out of the sun and not over 120 degrees. I was thinking of one of those deck storage boxes (Suncast). That would certainly keep it out of the sun. But would it get too hot in there? Anyone else use these for storage of their solar blanket while not in use?
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar blanket storage when not in use

Quote Originally Posted by run53
    I was thinking of one of those deck storage boxes (Suncast). That would certainly keep it out of the sun. But would it get too hot in there? Anyone else use these for storage of their solar blanket while not in use?
    I do...and it's awesome....just drill some small holes in the botton to allow for drainage...used it for winter storage too. Ours sit on a sunny deck and does not get much hotter than outside temp and keeps the sun off of it. Another option, although not that great looking, would be using a light colored heavy drop cloth to keep the sun rays off the cover, but can blow off in windy conditions.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar blanket storage when not in use

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Quote Originally Posted by run53
    I was thinking of one of those deck storage boxes (Suncast). That would certainly keep it out of the sun. But would it get too hot in there? Anyone else use these for storage of their solar blanket while not in use?
    I do...and it's awesome....just drill some small holes in the botton to allow for drainage...used it for winter storage too. Ours sit on a sunny deck and does not get much hotter than outside temp and keeps the sun off of it. Another option, although not that great looking, would be using a light colored heavy drop cloth to keep the sun rays off the cover, but can blow off in windy conditions.

Great, that's good to know, thanks!
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.