Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE question

1. Back To Top    #1

DE question

Hello. I am somewhat of a novice and was hoping to get some help with my DE filter. It is a 48 cu ft stainless that says on the side to add 10-1 pound coffee cans of de. Does this mean 10 pounds? I bought a 10 pound bag of de, but am hesitant to add because I just cleaned it all out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    18x36 (~20k gal) Gunite w/fiberglass walls, Sand filter, Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE question

Quote Originally Posted by JRH13
    Hello. I am somewhat of a novice and was hoping to get some help with my DE filter. It is a 48 cu ft stainless that says on the side to add 10-1 pound coffee cans of de. Does this mean 10 pounds? I bought a 10 pound bag of de, but am hesitant to add because I just cleaned it all out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    NO!! Stop!!

I hope I caught you in time. DE is less dense than coffee; it's the volume of a 1 lb can you're interested in, not the weight of the contents.

If I wasn't in such a hurry to post this, I'd look up the weight equivalence.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    ....If I wasn't in such a hurry to post this, I'd look up the weight equivalence.
    Roughly 1/2 pound DE per 1 lb coffee can. You should add 5 lbs of DE to your just cleaned filter.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

4. Back To Top    #4

Most pool stores will sell a DE scoop that gives the correct "1 lb can" volume. I would not trust measuring by weight.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Also I have yet to find an actual 1-lb coffee can at the grocery store. They're all 14 oz now. The DE scoop is really the way to go.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for the replies. I am about to add the DE now and would have put twice as much in than is needed! Thanks again.
    18x36 (~20k gal) Gunite w/fiberglass walls, Sand filter, Polaris 380