HELP! Pools full now what

Oct 31, 2009
We plastered on Thursday and started filling. Pool was completely full on Friday morning. PB told me to give him a call when it was full so he could pull some chemicals to suspend the solids as he put it. I called and left a message and sent him a text, but he never showed. The pump is not running and he didn't tell me brush it at all. I don't expect he will show until Monday. Is my plaster going to be ok with no chemicals in the pool and no circulation and no brushing all weekend?

We just went through the start-up of a new gunite pool with marcite plaster and a Pentair cartridge filter. Sounds very similar to yours. Based upon that experience and everything else I've read, I'd recommend you get that pump/filter running and brush twice a day. This is the key time for brushing in order to avoid the dust that forms during hydration from bonding to the surface and becoming like jagged sandpaper.

Many builders (including ours) use start-up agents just as Jack's Magic Purple or StartupTec which are supposed to help the filters grab the dust better and keep it in suspension so it doesn't settle. StartupTec advertises that it shortens the whole process...no idea if that is actually the case. Also, you'll need to watch your pH carefully as the curing plaster well tend to raise it, especially in the early days. Ours shot up past 8.0 almost immediately. For best curing/hydration, it should be around 7.4 as I understand it. Use the Pool Calculator to easily figure out what you need to do.

Of course, the best thing would be for your builder to show and tell you precisely what to do given your unique situation. Barring that, there is some great advice here, from much more knowledgeable people than me!

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.