interesting video

Yeah, I'll tell you what though. If we were getting baseball sized hail, I'm not so sure that I would be standing next to the window with a camera. I'd be hunkered down in an interior room. That was a dangerous situation. I wonder what their roof looked like after that. :shock:

WARNING :blah: :blah: :blah: POST (and ventures way off topic)

Edited to correct date and location

There was a similar hail storm EDIT at the anual Mayfest in Fort Worth, in 1995. END EDIT Lots of families out in the open. Estimated 10,000 people. Grapefruit sized hail. Besides the major damage caused to all kinds of things, millions of $$, a lot of people were injured, some seriously. I can't remember if there were any fatalities but I can see how there could have been.

All around the Metroplex, Dallas-Fort Worth, and in-between, there are occasional hail storms that damage tens of thousands of new autos at dealer lots. Oklahoma City isn't that far from us. Welcome to Tornado Alley. :rant:

If it wasn't Arlington, it was someplace very close to. We had one storm, about that time, or maybe same day, hail was a little smaller than baseball size here at my house. Most of my plants and some trees were stripped of foliage. No blooms survived. Both of our cars and my truck were under old Oak trees. Not one bit of damage but they were covered by small branches and loads of leaves.

I took some pictures but can find them.

Our native trees have evolved to withstand most of these types of storms yet our record 14" (16" out here once it started sticking) of heavy, wet snow, this winter, took out more trees than I think any spring/summer/fall storm ever, has including tornadoes, which aren't as widespread as the snow storm was. They just couldn't support the weight. A large percentage of destroyed trees were actually up-rooted from the snow weight, much more so than 100 mph straight line wind usually does. Our record Dallas ice storm didn't do nearly as much damage as this winters snow did. One of our old Oak trees, that has survived many years of high winds, was up rooted. It was one of the trees that sheltered our cars from the big hail. :cry:

It took many months for the cities to get most the dead trees picked up and some towns haven't finished. And that's the trees that tree crews have gotten to. Just this week some of my neighbors had tree companies working out here from the snow damage trees. Many people couldn't afford to do it all at once, including us, that is if they could get worked into a schedule. Tree companies are still very busy.

My neighbor worked on some of my uprooted trees a couple of months ago. I just got a crew out here a couple of weeks ago to finish up (and cut down the big Aristocrat Pear that stains the pool all spring-summer with its "fake pears" and almost killed puppy Jake, when he ate a bunch last summer - cyanide poisoning - and two more APs in dog yards and a couple of really big already dead trees that weren't damaged by the snow). I had to wait so long because the crew wasn't back from Mexico yet. They winter there and do have work visas. Owner is friend of my neighbors, Chaco's parents, our foster dog-child, so we get a fabulous deal. Otherwise I could not have afforded to have much at all done. They worked for five hours and cost me what taking down one tree would cost by any other company. I have a several brush piles in the woods, so no chopper needed; left a lot of time for cutting up/down.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
There was a similar hail storm in Arlington Texas, a few miles west of Dallas, where the New Cowboy Stadium is, and Six Flags, a few years ago during a Holiday Fair. Lots of families out in the open. Grapefruit sized hail. Besides the major damage caused to all kinds of things, millions of $$, a lot of people were injured, some seriously. I can't remember if there were any fatalities but I can see how there could have been.

The "Mayfest" supercell back in 1995. That was a crazy and scary storm. So many things were destroyed. The one thing that stuck out the most, at least to me, was how the trees looked. After the storm, all of the trees had no leaves or bark left. It was May when everything should be in full bloom and it looked Like January. :shock:

257WbyMag said:
geekgranny said:
There was a similar hail storm in Arlington Texas, a few miles west of Dallas, where the New Cowboy Stadium is, and Six Flags, a few years ago during a Holiday Fair. Lots of families out in the open. Grapefruit sized hail. Besides the major damage caused to all kinds of things, millions of $$, a lot of people were injured, some seriously. I can't remember if there were any fatalities but I can see how there could have been.

The "Mayfest" supercell back in 1995. That was a crazy and scary storm. So many things were destroyed. The one thing that stuck out the most, at least to me, was how the trees looked. After the storm, all of the trees had no leaves or bark left. It was May when everything should be in full bloom and it looked Like January. :shock:

Reminds me of the feeling I got when I went to California wine country, (for National Mastiff Specialty ... what else) the year after the big 1989 quake in San Francisco. Although it might have been 1991. It was spring. As we were traveling up the highway north it suddenly dawned on me that nothing was green. I wasn't even thinking spring. It should have been but they were in the middle of a very severe drought. I was really surprised, when we checked into hotel, that there were no water restriction on showering.

The 95 Mayfest storm hail was on record for the most costly hail storm in US history. it may still stand. Estimates in dollars, just from the hail, ranged from > 1 billion to over 2 billion, just from the hail. :shock:

Hundreds of people injured, mostly parents covering their children with their bodies; 60 seriously enough, at the fest, to be taken to hospital (one source says "90 taken to Harris Methodist hospital" and another said over 100. No human fatalities though. One animal was killed at the Fort Worth zoo. When the super cell moved into Dallas Co, moving right over us, a whole bunch of people were killed, mostly from flash flooding. Rain in Dallas county was coming down at a rate > 6" per hour. We're pretty used to our "toad chokers" producing several inches per hour but his was more than usual.

One source reported... A devastating supercell produced 70 mph winds, softball-sized hail, and flash flooding in the Dallas-Fort Worth TX area on the evening of 5 and early 6 May 1995 (Pressley, 1995). Insured damage reached $1 billion, making it one of the insurance industry's 10 costliest disasters (Johns, 1995). This was the third major hailstorm to hit the Dallas-Fort Worth area in early 1995 (Marshall, 1995). Hail up to 3 inches in diameter fell on 25 March 1995 across central Dallas County, and then on 29 April 1995, 4 in. hail was reported at the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport (Marshall, 1995). source http://www.ems.psu.edu/~diercks/miller.html

The good new is that many municipalities started improving emergency response systems, warning, systems, etc.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.