Jacksonville, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hi all, have a sta-rite pump (1-1/2 hp) with a 21" sand filter, that I just plumbed in, to my metal frame Intex pool. The pump and filter are less than 2 years old. I am getting air, and I suspect the seal around the basket cover, however, it is tight, even after lubing it with dow 111. I am not sure I want to buy a new seal, just to find that it still leaks air (enough to see bubbles in the return).
Anyone else experiencing this problem ?

Jax,

If your rubber seal is in decent shape, that's probably not the source. Other common air sources in the Spring are the pool level being too low and air is sucked in at the skimmer and the drain plug(s) in the bottom of the pump basket not tight. A cracked valve is always possible but not nearly as common.

Another possibility is that your skimmer can't handle the flow of that big pump and air is being introduced. If the water level is too low or the size of the skimmer opening is too small, you get a vortex effect in the skimmer, and air gets to the pump.

no air in skimmer, removed it entirely to test, water level is high. I am concerned because you can hear it build up and release when the pump shuts down, and it causes some debris to blow in the return for a split second when it starts back up. New pics on the yahoo page

I had just about the same problem when I did my spring start up. I found the impeller of the pump was clogged with acorns from last fall cleaning before shutdown. I thought I checked the lower basket well but the *&%&%^ oak trees got me again not to mention the squrrells dropping their nuts in the pool.
Steve

what is odd, I can run it, and get almost no air, for a little while, then it appears. I suspect the pump basket cover gasket, but I am not sure, hopeing someone would have a similar issue. No debris in impeller, no trees.

Kinda makes me think you have a problem with flow being reduced over time.
What type of lines do you have coming from and back to the pool?
What size is your lines ?
What size is your pool ?
What is your return psi before and after ?
Is the flow from the return dropping over time ?
Steve

Jax,

Are those clear, flexible hose sections on tight? I don't see a clamp on one end in your pics.

Air entering the "loop" will only get in in between the skimmer and the pump basket. That path looks fairly simple in your system and you should be able to track it down. Did you confirm your drain plugs were in tight in the pump basket?

I need to remove those pics, I don't have the intex pump any more, which is the one with the hose ends. Unfortunatley that was the only way I could get away from those cheap hoses at the time, and hard plumb, with hopes of upgrading, which I have.
Everything is in 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc, all taped, no leaks.
I only have a pressure guage on the valve, and it shows 12 psi (that is where it stays, unless its dirty, which has only been once, due to a vacuming)
It works ok, just bothers me, and concerns me that the air will hurt the valve, or keep things dirty.
The pool is an 18' x 48 intex.

Thanks for all the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.