IC40 Cell flashing problem

m_p

Jul 17, 2009
Hi,

I need a help here.
I got this pool with a house we bought in June 2009. I started to read TroublefreePool almost immediately and learned a lot. Thank you very much to you all. My pool is a real pleasure and I have not had too many problems with it.
Well, almost.
The Cell light on my Intellichlor IC40 started flashing. I found some scale in the cell and did an acid cleaning, it helped for 3 weeks, and then it started flashing again. The whole summer and fall I had to clean it every 2-3 weeks, and the scale was not even too bad.
Our water is very hard, CH was about 800, and TA was 250, I thought that the scale problem was caused by those high levels and managed to lower TA to 80. It did not help at all. Then winter came, the water temperature went to 50s, and I turned the cell down.
Two weeks ago I decided to prepare the pool for the season and replaced the water.
Now CH is 250, TA is 180, PH is 7.8, so everything looks not bad, but I cannot make the cell work at all. There is no scale, it is absolutely clean, but the “Cell” light is flashing. When I turn it on it is doing the usual start-up test, then “High Salt” light flashes for about a minute, then the “Cell” light starts flashing. I tested the salt level using various tests and it is about 3500, which is perfect.
I am lost now and need help.
Thanks.

I have IC40 as SWG. I bought new in 2008 and have had similar problems in the past. Recently I have not had any problems with the IC40 ever since I have followed TFP's recommened water balance for SWGs.

My numbers

PH 7.6
FC 6.0
CH 280
CYA 70
TA 80
Salt 3600

Worse case scenario is that the IC40 needs to be replaced but I would imagine the "Life" Led light would have been flashing.

Good luck.

You should do a visual inspection of the cell plates. Check to see if some of the plates are different lengths or if some of the corners on the plates look worn away. Either of those are signs of an aging cell.

JasonLion said:
You should do a visual inspection of the cell plates. Check to see if some of the plates are different lengths or if some of the corners on the plates look worn away. Either of those are signs of an aging cell.

Everything looks perfect.

It is v.1.8. How old can it be?

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.