When pump/motor goes out?

This might sound paranoid, but it might help me to be more prepared when this eventually happens. I'm sure my main pump/motor will go out one day and probably when I least expect it. What type of place do you immediately turn to to see if it can be fixed? Or do you immediately just buy a new one? I've heard of people finding local places with refurbished motors. I have no idea what type of place would handle this type of situation for a pool pump/motor.

I just know that my pump will go out on some critical July day, and I'll be freaking out wondering what to do while my pool sits stagnant and algae starts to break out.

Thanks,
Phillip

It depends on how much of a DIY type you are. The simplest thing to do is to call a pool service company. Whatever happens they will be able to take care of it quickly. If you want a less expensive DIY approach, you will want to have a small pump, like a cover pump or small sump pump, that you can use while the main pump is being fixed.

Most pumps fail because of seal failure and water entering the motor. As stated above, if you are a do it yourselfer, the repair is straight forward. I have purchased seal and gasket/o-ring kits to be prepared for the seal leaking. The repair can be done in a few hours. You can buy a pump and store it for the day you need it. If you are not a DIYer, find out what pool company in the area handles your brand of equipment.

A pool, if chemically balanced, can handle a few days without a pump. So, if you order a pump off the net, or it takes a few days for a dealer to get, you should be ok.

WORRY ABOUT IT WHEN IT HAPPENS!

Check your yellow pages for electric motor repair. If you can locate a motor shop nearby, you might want to visit and talk to them about their work and costs, and what they know of pool pumps. I know of at least one shop that is also a Hayward dealer. Pumps (of all kinds) are a huge part of the motor business, so they are not in the dark there.

And rest assured, your pump will not fail while you are thinking about it.

I've been using the same electric motor shop since the 60's (on Route 22 in Green Brook, NJ). The most recent was after Hurricane Floyd flooded the pump room and knocked out power to the sump pump while I was traveling. I have always put unions on my pumps so I can store them indoors off-season, so I just haul it down there. They do lots of pumps of all kinds and I end up with the same A.O. Smith motor that was on there before, just a different color. They told me lots of pool service companies bring pumps to them, too. I have never had a problem. They have done three pool pumps plus a sump pump. Like Ohm_Boy said, let your fingers do the walking. If you don't have unions, then you need to call a pool company to pull the pump--and TELL THEM TO PUT IN UNIONS when they put it back.

If your looking to save money on pool equipment that you know you will need sooner or later, try shopping ebay in the winter time, and storing it until you need it. Winter before last I bought a Hayward EC75 perflex DE filter, 1HP super pump and mounting base combo pack for about $350 or so, I just checked and the cheapest buy it now 1.5 HP super pump on ebay at the moment is just under $300. As others have said seals are a problem, electric motors don't like to get wet, in the case of the Hayward SuperPump service is very easy, all you need is a 9/16 wrench and a flat head screw driver. The whole thing is held together by only 8 bolts, 4 of which you only need to remove if you are replacing a motor. Everything else is snap together with markings like "top" cast into the plastic. A $25 seal kit can be changed out in 20-30 minutes, best of all, if you do loose a motor, it can be changed without disconnecting any of your plumbing, and also takes about 20 minutes. It is about as easy as changing the spark plugs on a car, maybe even easier given some cars these days.

Ike
Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.