Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looped returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Looped returns

I read in another post from a PB that he always "Loops" his returns.......What does that mean???
    13,800 gallon in-ground, gunite pool and spa with pebble-sheen surface and infinity edge.
    Intelli-flo variable speed pump for pool and spa, whisper-flo 2hp for infinity edge. Booster pump for cleaner.
    Easy- Touch 8 controller with salt water generator. DE filter.
    Spa is elevated 24" above pool eleavation.
    Equipment is at spa elevation.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looped returns

It means that when you run the lines that return water back to the pool, you create a loop all the way around the pool. Without doing this, some of the returns will have higher pressure than others and your pool may not circulate as well.
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by n8scstm
    It means that when you run the lines that return water back to the pool, you create a loop all the way around the pool. Without doing this, some of the returns will have higher pressure than others and your pool may not circulate as well.
    Still not clear to me. Is it one loop with each return branching off of the one loop?

Thanks, gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are looping, you want one continuous loop of pipe all the way around the pool. The water coming from the pump and going to each of the returns branches off of the loop with a T connector. Ideally the lines going from the loop to each of the returns should be relatively short and all the same length. The loop pipe must also be relatively large compared to the final diameter of the return eyeballs.

Looping is not the only way to balance the returns, nor does it work perfectly in every possible situation. Still, it is a simple solution that is easy to use when there are many returns without requiring any calculations.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the explanation......makes sense to me, I'll ask my builder what he does.
    13,800 gallon in-ground, gunite pool and spa with pebble-sheen surface and infinity edge.
    Intelli-flo variable speed pump for pool and spa, whisper-flo 2hp for infinity edge. Booster pump for cleaner.
    Easy- Touch 8 controller with salt water generator. DE filter.
    Spa is elevated 24" above pool eleavation.
    Equipment is at spa elevation.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mixman1
    Thank you for the explanation......makes sense to me, I'll ask my builder what he does.
    Me too. Thanks
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

I've also wondered about looping (in a theoretical way, I'm not about to rip up all my flagstone). Is this assuming you'd have returns all the way around? Mine are on one side, it's hard to imagine the benefit of running all that extra pipe in that case.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

You don't have to loop around the pool if your returns are all on one side; you can make a loop on a single side of the pool.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)