Solar Blanket + Help

chrisjb8685

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
Blue Earth Cty., MN
I'm in the initial process of clearing up the pool and will be shocking for awhile. I have a clear 12ml solar blanket and am wondering if it is okay to have it in place during the clearing up phase?

Also, is there advice on how to clean the blanket before putting it in place? It is on a roller now and I know that there is some junk rolled up inside of it on both the top and the bubble bottom.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Solar Blanket

Cleaning - We have one person holding/unrolling very small amounts at a time out and a bit up while the other person sprays with a hose using some pressure setting

We shock/clear our pool with the cover on as long as it is removed occassionaly to gas off -

Re: Solar Blanket

High chlorine levels will shorten the life of a solar cover so if you are shocking the pool, I would leave it off.

Re: Solar Blanket + Help!

mas985 said:
FC will kill them. Besides, it would be very difficult to remove it.

We had a wonderful pool party today and I finally went to put on the cover and as I sprayed it off there were "pockets of green algae and some very yellowy looking slimy algae" all the way through each layer of the clear cover.

We sprayed it off and then sprayed again as we rolled it back onto the reel. It did not go on the pool and now I am scared to put it on and introduce this stuff into a finally cleared pool. We are losing a lot of water to evaporation and I want to cover the pool.

My FC is 3
CC is .5
CYA is 60 ish
pH is 7.4

Am I asking for trouble if I put it on the pool? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Going back to your original post - you wouldn't want to cover when clearing up a swamp anyway cuz UV rays help destroy CCs.

Now to the current issue - if you simply sprayed it with a hose you could be asking for trouble.

For the top part I would suggest scrubbing it with a mild diluted bleach/water solution. For the bubble side, I'd suggest raising up your FC level by 4ppm or so...so that you have some extra ooomph for whatever might be trapped between the bubbles.

Then I'd monitor the situation carefully to nip it in the bud should whatevers on the cover try to take over the pool....keep us posted!

Brought the FC to 11 and covered the pool. Left SWCG on super chlorinate.

Everything looked good this morning with an overcast day predicted.

I left the cover on today as I want to kill all the algae. I'll check FC tonight.

Thanks for all the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.