Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Blanket + Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Blanket + Help

I'm in the initial process of clearing up the pool and will be shocking for awhile. I have a clear 12ml solar blanket and am wondering if it is okay to have it in place during the clearing up phase?

Also, is there advice on how to clean the blanket before putting it in place? It is on a roller now and I know that there is some junk rolled up inside of it on both the top and the bubble bottom.

Thanks,
    Chris
    5 year old 40k L shaped vinyl Salt-Water with 40k T-15 cell, Pentair TR -100 450# filter, zeobrite media, 4 returns, 3 skimmers, 1 1/2 - 1/3 HP pump Whisper Flo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Blanket

Cleaning - We have one person holding/unrolling very small amounts at a time out and a bit up while the other person sprays with a hose using some pressure setting

We shock/clear our pool with the cover on as long as it is removed occassionaly to gas off -
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

High chlorine levels will shorten the life of a solar cover so if you are shocking the pool, I would leave it off.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

If there are places of dried algae on the cover, will they "reawaken" in the pool or will the FC take care of them?

(In other words, does the cover need to be free of all debris?)
    5 year old 40k L shaped vinyl Salt-Water with 40k T-15 cell, Pentair TR -100 450# filter, zeobrite media, 4 returns, 3 skimmers, 1 1/2 - 1/3 HP pump Whisper Flo

5. Back To Top    #5

FC will kill them. Besides, it would be very difficult to remove it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Solar Blanket + Help!

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    FC will kill them. Besides, it would be very difficult to remove it.
    We had a wonderful pool party today and I finally went to put on the cover and as I sprayed it off there were "pockets of green algae and some very yellowy looking slimy algae" all the way through each layer of the clear cover.

We sprayed it off and then sprayed again as we rolled it back onto the reel. It did not go on the pool and now I am scared to put it on and introduce this stuff into a finally cleared pool. We are losing a lot of water to evaporation and I want to cover the pool.

My FC is 3
    CC is .5
    CYA is 60 ish
    pH is 7.4

Am I asking for trouble if I put it on the pool? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Solar Blanket + Help

If I put the cover on, do I have enough FC to kill the potential algae?

Any idea what the yellow slimy stuff is? (Mustard Algae?)

8. Back To Top    #8

Going back to your original post - you wouldn't want to cover when clearing up a swamp anyway cuz UV rays help destroy CCs.

Now to the current issue - if you simply sprayed it with a hose you could be asking for trouble.

For the top part I would suggest scrubbing it with a mild diluted bleach/water solution. For the bubble side, I'd suggest raising up your FC level by 4ppm or so...so that you have some extra ooomph for whatever might be trapped between the bubbles.

Then I'd monitor the situation carefully to nip it in the bud should whatevers on the cover try to take over the pool....keep us posted!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Brought the FC to 11 and covered the pool. Left SWCG on super chlorinate.

Everything looked good this morning with an overcast day predicted.

I left the cover on today as I want to kill all the algae. I'll check FC tonight.

Thanks for all the advice.