Bonding new Pro Logic Automation System

May 26, 2009
Eatontown, NJ
I am installing my new Pro Logic Automation System with includes a sub panel which is replacing my existing sub panel. It has a bond lug, does it get bonded? I have read that the electrical system does not get bonded only at the main panel, but since this is more than a sub panel and includes other electrical devices and logic I am not sure.

I live in NJ
Does the bond wire have to be #8 Solid or can it be stranded?

The bonding wire needs to be solid. We do not have to bond the panel here, but if the lug is in place, I'd go ahead and do it anyway. We run our grounds from the main panel, which is already grounded.

fharczuk said:
It has a bond lug, does it get bonded? I have read that the electrical system does not get bonded only at the main panel,

You are correct that only the main panel gets bonded. But, there are two uses of the word bonded here. What most people here at TFP are familiar with in terms of bonding has to do with running a copper wire, usually #8, around the perimeter of the pool and connects the pool to all other metal objects around the pool. These would include the pool itself, pump motor, heater, ladder fittings, rail fittings, and any outdoor automation system including those that act as a subpanel (such as the Prologic system or Pentair Easytouch).

Your reading about only bonding the main panel is correct as well, but refers to a completly different type of bondng. That has to do with how the ground and neutral bus are connected, or not connected, in the panel. At the main panel, the ground wires (the copper wires with no insulation) are tied into the ground bus. The neutral (white wire that returns current back to the panel) wires are tied into the neutral bus. These 2 buses are bonded to each other by having a piece of metal called a bonding strip connecting the two. When current returns to the main, it actually goes to ground since all of it is connected.

On a subpanel, the bonding strip is removed. The neutral and ground bus are now separate. Since its a subpanel, the neutral and ground go back to the main where they are still bonded. The idea of removing the connection at the subpanel is a safety issue. It insures that there is only ONE way back to ground, at the main and not the sub.

So, two different uses of the word bonding here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.