Here is what we have so far

Apr 27, 2010
I am using the TF-100 testing kit

FC: I added my water to 10ml mark, added my heaping scoop and swirled... it never turned pink???? Does this mean I have no FC?
Couldnt finish the rest of the test 'cause it never changed color to be able to test for CC
CC: See Above
TC: See Above
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
CYA: 25 ( just added some tonight, this is not a true reading )

Added my stocking of CYA, should I adjust my TA?
We don't have the filter running yet, but we do have the pump running.

Yes, you have 0 FC. It is important to get some into your pool. I don't know how your water looks so, for now, I would put in a small jug of clorox tomorrow AM (or ASAP) just to get some protection in your water.

Disregard your TA of 90...it's just fine.

Why isn't your filter working but your pump is?

Post back and tell us how high you intend to get yor CYA and we'll help you get your FC up where it needs to be. Chlorine is consumable and will always need to be added to your pool. You do not want FC to be at 0 ever.

duraleigh said:
Yes, you have 0 FC. It is important to get some into your pool. I don't know how your water looks so, for now, I would put in a small jug of clorox tomorrow AM (or ASAP) just to get some protection in your water.

Disregard your TA of 90...it's just fine.

Why isn't your filter working but your pump is?

Post back and tell us how high you intend to get yor CYA and we'll help you get your FC up where it needs to be. Chlorine is consumable and will always need to be added to your pool. You do not want FC to be at 0 ever.

Sorry for lack of information.
Just started the pool, 3rd year... we are green and full of algae.
Tested at first and PH was high... well over 8.2
Got that lower, now we're ready to start with the bleach cya etc.... I didn't want to start the filter if I had to backwash, with us just adding the cya... didn't want to waste it.
But I did want to get it circulating... I will start the pump tomorrow... along with bleach if thats what you recomend.

I have a 21,200 gallon AG pool

Does 40 sound like a good place to keep our CYA? Or should we go higher?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, Lori,

That's a much better picture of your pool. You need to shock your pool.

I would not add any additional CYA until your shock process is complete. Please read "How to Shock your Pool" in Pool School. Also ABC's of pool water chemistry in pool school will shed some light for you.

Shocking your pool is a process of very high chlorine levels, brushing and vacuuming and, importantly, filtering the dead algae and debris from your pool You will have to run your pump and filter 24/7 and you will have to put a ton of chlorine in your pool.

Read those articles, ask questions, and stock up on bleach....everything else can be done alter

duraleigh said:
Hi, Lori,

That's a much better picture of your pool. You need to shock your pool.

I would not add any additional CYA until your shock process is complete. Please read "How to Shock your Pool" in Pool School. Also ABC's of pool water chemistry in pool school will shed some light for you.

Shocking your pool is a process of very high chlorine levels, brushing and vacuuming and, importantly, filtering the dead algae and debris from your pool You will have to run your pump and filter 24/7 and you will have to put a ton of chlorine in your pool.

Read those articles, ask questions, and stock up on bleach....everything else can be done alter

So it is OK that I added the CYA tonight?

Here are my plans for the morning....
Starting the filter
Dumping gobs of bleach... I have 17 gallons as of now, and some "shock" that we bought last year before we learned that it was a verb not a noun (TeeHee)
Scrubbing and vaccuming
Backwashing when needed
Repeat

Where should I get my shock levels to since I am not 100% on my CYA yet?

This is at 11am Dumped in 4 bottles of Bleach with a reading of 0 FC
SDC10182.jpg

This is at 1pm dumped in 3 more bottles with a reading of 5.5 FC 5.5 CC
SDC10185.jpg

So we are getting somewhere :whoot: ... shooting for 16 FC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.