Green pool ... work in progress

Jul 5, 2007
New Orleans, LA
My dad's pool. I live about a mile away and I'm trying to help him out. He's always winged it and been mostly successful, but from reading on here, I want to try to learn the BBB method and testing to take control of his pool.

16,000 gal in ground, plaster

Pool is green right now. usually a cup of chlorine (probably 24 oz cup of calhypo) does the trick according to him but its been green for about a week and he's stumped.

Ordered a TF100 kit. Should be in tomorrow.

Pool store results from yesterday:

TC: 2.3
TA: 100
PH: 7.3
CH: 375
CYA: 20

Primary source of chlorine was Cal Hypo for years. Just switching to Bleach. Yesterday, we shocked with about 300oz of 6% bleach, then another gallon an hour later, then another gallon about 2 hours after that. The pool looks a little lighter green today but nothing significant.

He insists on trying some algaecide, and he picked up some Polyquat and some SuperFloc. I told him lets hold off on the Floc for now. What is the proper way to use polyquat? Any special chlorine or PH levels? Do I add some chlorine before or after pouring in the PQ?

any advice, suggestions?

Thanks

should this be moved to the algae forum?

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 144
Untill your test kit comes in just be patient. Do you have any idea what your free chlorine level is atm? Also what percentage of chlorine is in your bleach? With total chlorine so low it would not hurt to add more bleach and keep on top of testing it try not to let it drop to 0.

Welcome to the forum!!

1. I hope you can discourage him from using cal hypo. The CH is high enough. The TF-100 may test it even higher but let's wait and see.

2. Basically, you will need to shock the pool. Shocking is not a one-time event but rather a process that can take a few days during which you keep replenishing the FC so it stay up around 15 +. Let's get a valid CYA result before you decide just how high to raise the FC. Please go to Pool School and read "How to Shock your Pool". Ask lot's of questions and gather up lots of bleach....the pool will soon sparkle.

3. That great username is very intriguing.....can we get an explanation?? :lol:

I hope to get him to switch to bleach as long he doesn't mind looking like Dexter Morgan trying to buy 8 cases of bleach at a time from Sams Club.

I got the test kit, but I'm leaving out of town for the weekend. Once I get back I will test and try to do a proper shock. Should I do a bucket test first to check the chlorine demand?

Any thoughts on the Polyquat or SuperFloc?

Duraleigh, username is a derivation of my rugby nickname, Bus, and beep beep like a horn.

I have never had a need for floc or algaecide and I have never advocated it's use. Floc sometimes helps (but not all that frequently) and algaecide is a decent "preventer" but not a good "killer".

Chlorine will clear the pool.

I was thinking along the lines of Greyhound bus going "beep, beep". It's stilll a good username!

I just got back in town and found my dad added a quart of polyquat to the pool and a day later it was clear and blue. I got the TF 100 test kit in hand, but I haven't used it yet. I'm a bit intimidated, I'm not sure what to test and when.

Currently using the HTH 6-way, I just tested

TC 2
PH 7.2
CYA no reading (minimum on this test is 30 - pool store said it was 20 last week)

I guess the next step is test all these parameters with the TF100 kit.

Should I test the FC and CC now or add some bleach then test in an hour or so?

I got a few boxes of Borax. Should I add some to get PH to around 7.5 or leave the PH low for now?

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 93
On the TF100, just open it up and follow the test instructions posted in the lid.
Take your time and if you have any q's, just ask. It's gotta' be easy cause even a Butterfly can do it :)

Remember, there may be an issue with static on the TA test.
Just wipe the dropper with a damp cloth every other drop or so.

I suggest you test w/TF100 before you add anything.

Your pH is fine at 7.2. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.