Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical odor in water

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical odor in water

Swam for the first time this season. There is a chemical odor to the water. It doesn't really smell like CC's, it's almost a plastic kind of smell. Maybe it is CC's? I've been using BBB for a week now and the only thing i have added is some dry acid and liquid chlorine. My FC is dropping approx .5 ppm per day and my CC's have been at .5 or 0. I test every day. I'm also keeping the FC at between 7 and 9 because my CYA is at 70. My wife has also noticed it and now she thinks it's because we switched to liquid bleach. When i opened the pool i flushed the antifreeze into the pool that the pool company had added before closing. Heat pump has been running for 2 days to get up to 80 degrees from 64 degrees. Any ideas what it could be?
    20000 gal IG freeform, vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair Intellitouch controller, Pentair Heat Pump. Built 2008

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical odor in water

It would be helpful if you posted a full set of test numbers.

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

FC 8
    CC .5
    PH 7.3
    TA 90
    CH 100
    CYA 70
    pool is less than 2 years old. vinyl and 20000 gal
    There is also some foaming of the water as it gets splashed. I also remembered that I added algecide right before closing. I'm not sure what it was but it was being advertised as guaranteed to keep the pool algae free until May 15. The odor isn't strong but it's definately there. I can even smell it on my skin now. If i had only known then what i know now.....
    20000 gal IG freeform, vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair Intellitouch controller, Pentair Heat Pump. Built 2008

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I also remembered that I added algecide right before closing.
    I think you may be on to the culprit. YOur test numbers look good. Keep your FC at that level for a few days and it is very likely the smell and foaming will disappear.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jt100
    My wife has also noticed it and now she thinks it's because we switched to liquid bleach.
    It's 100% definitely not that. If you're using unscented bleach, then you are using chlorine. Sodium hypochlorite = bleach = chlorine. You can pay more for it by buying it at a pool store with the name chlorine on the bottle if that make her feel better, but that's just wasting money

http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sodi...ochlorite.html

If you have too much you will smell like chlorine but it won't smell like a plastic/chemical.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you familiar with the smell of anti-freeze? Maybe they are using something other than ethylene glycol ( hope so ) . Anyway its kinda a sickly sweet smell.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by coloeb
    Are you familiar with the smell of anti-freeze? Maybe they are using something other than ethylene glycol ( hope so ) . Anyway its kinda a sickly sweet smell.
    Good call!

There is also a distinct smell to burning coolant. It's like formaldehyde or ammonia; once you learn the smell, you'll never forget it. Burning = oxidation. Chlorine = oxidizer. I'm beginning to get a suspicion here...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes i am familiar with the smell of ethylene glycol. It's not that kind of smell. I am 99.9% sure what they used was pool antifreeze because they left the empty jugs in the skimmers along with the gizmos. It was blue antifreeze (if that means anything). Does pool antifreeze have an odor? It's not really acrid. The only way i can describe it is if you smell the inside of a new plastic food container, it's kinda of like that. It's subtle but definately there.

9. Back To Top    #9

No pool antifreeze doesn't have any obvious smell. I'm thinking it has something to do with the algaecide, but it is difficult to imagine that it would still have a scent after several months.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

You could try a different brand of bleach. Are you using 6% Clorox Regular unscented?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Actually i mis spoke when i said bleach. It's actually Austin's Pool Tech Shock that i picked up at Bj's Wholesale. it's 12.5 percent sodium hypochlorite. here is the spec sheet I found on it. http://www.jamesaustin.com/PDFS/Pool_Tech_Shock.pdf
    I still think it has something to do with the algaecide i added when it was closed. Just because of the slight foaming. I'll keep an eye on it for another week or 2 and hopefully it'll start to reduce. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. This forum has been a great resource for me.