Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How should I pour the bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

How should I pour the bleach?

So last night I did my first test with the TF-100 and got the numbers below. I went to the pool calculator and it says to add 16 gallons of bleach. From what I understand I should pour it in front of one of the jets, what I haven't found anywhere is how. Should I just put the jug on its side? Would that be too fast and too splashy? Can my son and I pour at the same time on two different jets? Any tips would be helpful as I plan on pouring it in tonight.

FC .5
    CC .5
    TA 120
    CH 90
    CYA 70
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How should I pour the bleach?

Sure, you can employ your son here. Each of you find a return jet at opposite ends if possible. Open up the bottle and pour slowly enough so as not to splash, directly in the return flow so that the returns carry the bleach out into the water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Some of us float the jug part way in the water...it helps suspend some of the weight and gets the mouth closer to the water, so less splashing.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! This site is great....it's definitely worth its wieght in.....bleach!
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

I like the cut of your jib! (you'll fit right in )

I just walk the perimeter of the pool, pouring at ~ waist height, but then again, I ruin a LOT of pants each year doing it that way
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

It's usually a good idea to pour most concentrated chemicals, including bleach or chlorinating liquid, slowly over a return flow at the deep end with the pump running. For extra safety, since you have a vinyl pool, you can lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool where you've added the chlorine to ensure thorough mixing. You don't want any chlorine pooling at the bottom of the pool -- once mixed, however, chlorine stays mixed.

Just note that bleach and chlorinating liquid will bleach your clothes with even the smallest drop so be careful. I usually change my clothes to a pair of jeans that is getting more and more white spots from all the accidental drops over the years. No matter how careful I try to be, every few weeks or months I seem to screw up. Putting the jug or cup into the pool for pouring should minimize the problem, but rinse your hands in the water afterwards in case something spills on them.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

so i shock the pool last night and now I do another test (8 hours later) and I get the same numbers I got last night:

FC .5
    CC .5

I'm heading out to get more bleach, but I'm getting worried that I'm not doing the test correctly and I might "over bleach" my pool, if this is even possible.

BTW: the pool was a little cloudy last night, this morning it it's much clearer.

8. Back To Top    #8

From what I have read on here, if it is clearing up then it is making progress and the chlorine is being eaten away. If you just follow the directions on the test kit you should be good to go. The FC test is one of the easier test to do and get right. Use a 10 ml sample, put in a heaping scoop of the powder and then use the R-0871 and one drop at a time swiring in between each one. Once the water turns pink to clear multiple your drops times .5 and that is your FC. Then use the R003 and put in 5 drops, if it stays clear your CC is 0. If it changes back to pink, put in enough drops of R-0871 to turn it back clear, multiply this by .5 and that is your CC. FC+CC=TC.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I know I am going to get a bunch of slack for the way i do it....But i take the skimmer basket out and I pour it very slowly in the Skimmer.
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by hayfarmer
    I know I am going to get a bunch of slack for the way i do it....But i take the skimmer basket out and I pour it very slowly in the Skimmer.
    I have read on here that you can do it that way as well, but just not the most common way.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

You can certainly do that, yes. The reason that we don't typically advocate for doing that is because we don't want others to think that you can do that with just anything. There are some chemicals that it would be a big no-no to do that (see muriatic acid).

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes i would never put MA in the skimmer.. The reason i do it is because I usally have the solar cover on when i need to add bleach and its hard to hold it back and pour. The skimmer is just to handy for adding Bleach only.
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    There are some chemicals that it would be a big no-no to do that (see muriatic acid).
    Please explain why.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    I just walk the perimeter of the pool, pouring at ~ waist height, but then again, I ruin a LOT of pants each year doing it that way
    If you literally do ruin a LOT of pants that way, then why? Do you get free clothes?
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

15. Back To Top    #15

some chems are very hard on the seals of the pump. thats why they say not to put some chems in you skimmer.
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns

16. Back To Top    #16

Muriatic has a pH of around -1 (negative 1) and you really don't want a seriously low pH inside the guts of your pump/filter. I suppose you could drip it into the skimmer basket, but I think anything that qualifies as "pour" would be too much.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by rastoma
    If you literally do ruin a LOT of pants that way, then why? Do you get free clothes?
    Maybe that's why he calls himself "waste"??
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

18. Back To Top    #18

I have always added dichlor and poured bleach right into the skimmer. The chlorine quickly goes through the pump, through the heater, and back into the return jets. Never had a problem with any of the components. (I learned my lesson to NEVER do this with acid) Now that I am getting a new heater with a cupric-nickel heat exchanger, I am wondering if I should change my ways of adding chlorine. Is concentrated chlorine for a short period going through a cupric-nickel heat exchanger bad?
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by rastoma
    TIME = $

I open at least 6 pools each day (and my work week is Mon. - Sat.) so I'm perimeter dumping at least 12 gal. of 12.5% every day. With the splash that Richard spoke of and wind, the bottom 6" of my jeans get pretty threadbare within a couple months. This also doesn't take into account unnoticed spillage in the back of my service van that I kneel in nor, the occasional inadvertent leaking jug that coats me.

I'm just a little different than most members here, I open and close 400+ pools every year and service twice that many - it gives me a knowledge/ experience base that the owner of 1 pool doesn't have - and I've never owned a pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

20. Back To Top    #20

Always wear eye protection when pouring bleach.
    15,000 gallon unpainted plaster. Sand filter. Polaris 380.