What is a Cabana For?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I'm building a shed out by the pool area. It'll be used for storage of pool equipment/toys/chemicals and possibly for storing stereo equipment and stuff. I'll make it nice looking to fit in with the area.

It ends up begging the question though, should I build a cabana instead. But what I can't figure out is, what is the purpose of it? What do people do with their cabanas? Is it just for hanging out in and for storage? I mean...what is a cabana I guess?

One other note. I planned to build an 8X10 shed, which is the ideal size for the space. Technically though, I could go to 10X12. I wouldn't want to get too much larger though because it would start creating shade in the pool. So, we're not talking about a huge amount of space. Is this too small for a cabana anyway?

Thanks!

One thing we have all learned is that you can never get too much storage!

I think of a cabana as a place to change clothes, perhaps have a bathroom and maybe some extra storage for towels, suntan lotion, etc. :-D

Both sizes you mentioned sound good for either project.

I guess some people call them Pool Houses and others Cabanas. I'm in the cabana crowd because the name to me sounds and implies more fun then the term pool house does. Our cabana's footprint is 16' wide x 14' deep but that includes a 4' covered porch that spans the width of the building. The useable space is therefore 16x10 and it has a vaulted ceiling on the inside. We built our cabana to accomodate the following purposes & activities:

There is a walk-up bar / snack counter.
There is a small closet area with shelves to store chemicals, test kit, brushes & brooms, maintenance items, etc.
There is a small room 4x7 that has a toilet & room for people to change in & out of swimsuits.
Over the 2 areas just described is a small storage area created by the ceiling vault - useful in winter for cushions, etc.
The remainder of the inside is a kitchen area with cabinets, counters, sink, blender, refrigerator, etc.

That's it in a nutshell, but it's really so much more. It's a destination spot for entertaining. I wired for a flat screen tv on the back wall of the cabana opposite the bar opening so that I can broadcast whatever sporting event might be on t.v. (now just have to buy the t.v.) I'm flirting with hooking up my son's old Xbox with the wireless controllers so that you could sit at the bar and play Tiger Woods golf. I installed speakers under the covered porch to pump beach music into the pool area. It gives the wife something else to decorate, string tiki lights along the eave, etc.

A bathroom and changing area are really nice. No dripping in the house. No wet towels and bathing suits in the house. Frequent guests can leave a suit and towel there.

FinsUp, sounds great, any pics?
My grandparents always had a shed just for pool stuff. In the winter it was storage. In the summer, the changing room.

I have a shed that is general outdoor storage now. I'd like to get another one, and keep yard equipment in one, pool/changing shed as the other. I think a cabana sounds a bit nicer tho!

We have an 8x10x7h shed my DH just built for my pool stuff so our garage isn't packed all winter long. Helps keep the pool area tidy too. I wanted a bathroom/changing area too but a no go on that. We already have a shower just before you walk onto the deck steps.

Hmmmm....Sounds pretty cool! I wish running the plumbing out there for a bathroom wouldn't be a small fortune because that would be perfect for kids/kid pool party. I'll have to do some thinking here.

My quick summer fix for that is a portable/chemical toilet used for camping. Then you do not need to winterize plumbing in another building that will not be used all winter. They come as cheap as $70 up to $200 depending on how fancy you want to go. We use these at the guest cabin for our weekend guided trail rides we give twice a year. Provide waterless hand cleaner on the shelf nearby, hooks for hanging clothing, shelves and a bench for sitting while changing. Since we already have the shower out by the pool it is all covered. It's another option to keep wet and/or sandy guests outside during pool parties.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a pool house/cabana as well. It's 12 ft wide and 8ft deep. It's divided into two sides and has 2 doors. Door number one is where the pump/filter/piping, chemicals, shopvac, and most importantly, the refridgerator, plastic cups, coozies, etc are stored. Door number 2 has a sink base/cabinet, potty, and a changing bench, towel racks, etc. The bench area usually holds extra folding chairs, and I put my cushions in there as well. It isn't fancy but it's functional. The floor is poured concrete so I can just hose it out in the spring. The sink base needs replaced as the laminate is coming off but we don't really worry so much about it right now. We only have a cold water line out there so if you think about that you can save some money there.

I highly recommend if you can, to put a commode in your cabana. Both my inside bathrooms are through my sunroom, across my living room rugs or through the kitchen...basically as far from the pool as they could be. The bathroom outside significantly reduces traffic inside. The original owners really thought things through with the design we have outside.

No pictures available of the inside of the pool house as we are still in a big mess from redoing our deck. I will add later. But here's an exterior shot.

Attachments

• P4211292 (320x240).jpg
    P4211292 (320x240).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,141
Unfortunately, the only pictures I have on my work computer are from early fall when we were building the cabana. It was far from complete at this point, and in fact we're still putting some finishing touches on it, and trying to get the interior painted out before this season hits high gear. Please forgive the quality as a couple were taken with the camera phone. I will try to get some updated pictures on my computer to show the progress and where we're at now.

Attachments

• img256.jpg
    img256.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 1,116
  • img255.jpg
    img255.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 1,112
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,108
Oh heck... Skippy :batman: put a beer fridge in ours. So we painted our old shed up pretty inside and built a counter for the margarita machine, the liquor, pretty boxes to hold the cups, etc. Half the shed is for this stuff, the other half for towels, chemicals, pool toys etc.

So if ever we had squatters come they'd be liquor pickled, and have to subsist on some popsicles to eat but sadly no potty. It would have been so easy if we could have just afforded it at the time. The sewer line goes right past the door.....

Picture in my siggy line below

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.