DE Filter with no multiport valve...

May 21, 2007
I have a Sta-rite System 2 Modular DE Filter (model PLDE48) for my inground pool. It has no multiport valve - just flow valves for the inlet and outlet. It's such a hassle to open my pool in the beginning of the season because there is no ability to backwash and when pressure jumps in the early days (when the pool is at it's worst), I have to remove the grid, clean it off completely and then recoat. I usually have to do this several times, until the pool clears. Also during the season - when pressure builds, I have to clean the entire grid. I end up using a ton of DE over the course of a summer.

I do vac to waste (sort of) by vacuuming and not putting the filter grid in while running a waste hose off of the tank drain - but typically only do this upon first opening the pool, to get the majority of gunk out.

Question - is it difficult to add a multiport valve that has backwash and vac to waste options to this setup? Would it be worth the effort?

Thanks! That looks perfect!!!

Next question - why wouldn't they have installed one in the first place??? Pool was part of the home purchase, so I wasn't present for the install, or I would have probably asked.

TredH20 said:
Question - is it difficult to add a multiport valve that has backwash and vac to waste options to this setup? Would it be worth the effort?
Looks to me like someone didn't read the fine print. Sorta like batteries not included; in this case, it's
Backwash Valve Selection (Sold Separately)

18202-0250 ABS 6-position valve w/ unions 1-1/2"

18201-0300 ABS 6-position valve w/ unions 2"

14935-0300 ABS slide valve w/ unions 2"
http://www.aquapoolstore.com/filters/Sta-Rite-PLDE-series-Modular-DE-Fliter.htm is where I got that. Looks like an easy hookup to the filter, but you'll have to chop some pipes to fit the valve in. Twenty bucks says they plumbed things so tight there isn't room....

Looks to me like someone didn't read the fine print. Sorta like batteries not included; in this case, it's http://www.aquapoolstore.com/filters/Sta-Rite-PLDE-series-Modular-DE-Fliter.htm is where I got that. Looks like an easy hookup to the filter, but you'll have to chop some pipes to fit the valve in. Twenty bucks says they plumbed things so tight there isn't room....

take the 20 bucks...and u win...
i had a Sta-rite System 2 Modular DE Filter (model PLDE48),too, and no MP, no waste port. pipes twisted there ,and NO ROOM!!
i kinda think vacuum mode and backwash mode useless!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.