Pool cover pump can't handle muck

gojiro

Aug 25, 2009
Hi, all,

I'm having a devil of a time trying to pump the April rainwater off my inground pool cover. A lot of vegetation got on the cover and rotted, and now when I try to pump the water off, the pump's spongy filter clogs up after 30 seconds with muddy gunk. I am afraid to run the cover pump without the filter on it for fear it will clog and burn up the motor. Anyone got some tips or ideas for pumping the water off? I've tried using a bucket to scoop it off, but it's slow going and I almost fell in once.

Help!

Thanks in advance,

Dave

two things...try turning the pump on it's side so that the sponge is vertically positioned. 2nd option would be to get an old salad strainer...put it on the cover where the water has collected, then put the pump in the strainer...that's all I can think of for now :goodjob:

Had a similar issue due to my rule cover pump just dying after a few months use. Ended up with a small pool on the top of my large pool cover and it filled with all kinds of junk in the time with no cover pump.
I took the pool brush and slowly pushed the muck from center to the other side.
Doing it slowly lets you keep ahold of the muck and let the water come back down to the center of the cover.
I can't push it all the way off since my pool is too wide for that, but I can then go to the other side and pull it off the rest of the way.

I don't know the consistency of your muck, but this trick works for me on the leaf soup that accumulates during the winter here. I put the cover pump in one of those mesh bags they sell for camping. It does a better job and takes longer to plug up--actually, it almost never does. It is also easier to clean than actually dismantling the pump. My cover pump (a Rule) does not have a sponge, and neither do the Little Giants. Maybe you might do better with one of those.

duraleigh said:
Durk, that's a good tip. :lol:

That would be good to place into that "Tips I thought everybody knew...." thread!

I actually saw it on this forum a few years ago in a cover pump thread so it wouldn't be MY tip. But you're right, it deserves to be there. I'll do it, with appropriate disclaimer. It really does work. Of course, YMMV. (Your Muck May Vary)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.