Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA High

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA High

My CYA is at 100. The pool calculator says to replace 60% of my pool water to get at a 40 reading. I have a 14,000g fiberglass pool that I have never drained before, except for your basic backwash. Do I drain all at once or a little at a time? Will the pressure from draining all at once crack the fiberglass. Or should I drain it 40% to get a reading of 60?
    Grecian/W a Step style,14ft by 30ft
    14,000 gallon,Fiberglass,
    Sand Filter
    Deepend 5ft
    Method(BBB)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA High

Since most CYA tests only read to 100 and report anything higher as 100, yours could be higher than that. In St. Louis and with a fiberglass pool I wouldn't drain more than a third of your water at one time. You may have to do several drain/fills to get the CYA down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Everything else is pretty good. my water is very clear. So should I concentrate on not adding other chemicals until i get my CYA right?
    Sand Filter
    Deepend 5ft
    Method(BBB)

4. Back To Top    #4

You'll want to make sure to keep chlorine in it so it doesn't turn green. It may take a while to do multiple partial drains, and you don't want to get algae during that time!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

This is probally a silly question. should set my pump at 6 o'clock until the water gets below the skimmer and then set to 9 o'clock so it only drains from the bottom. I feel retarded asking but I never done this before? Or would that be too much draining at one time.
    Brett
    Sand Filter
    Deepend 5ft
    Method(BBB)

6. Back To Top    #6

Just set it to only drain from the bottom. Otherwise you'll suck air and lose prime as soon as the water level gets below the skimmer.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you ahve a 3-way valve to select between the skimmer and the Main Drain. I'd set it to pull from the main drain during the whole time I was lowering the water level.

MITS -- GMTA
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I will start doing this today when I get home from work. I do have a 3-way valve. Thanks alot for all your help.
    Brett
    Sand Filter
    Deepend 5ft
    Method(BBB)