Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern California Build

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern California Build

Howdy! Love the seemingly endless supply of information and helpful people on this forum.

Today is the 2nd day of our dig. We're building a 600sq ft free form with spa.

Unfortunately, I've hit water at about 3 feet in the shallow end of the pool. The deep end is dug out deeper but has no water (dirt still separating shallow from deep ends). PB believes its from excess sprinkler water from neighbors who have a higher lot elevation. PB is going to dig out a bit extra and place gravel at the bottom and of course have hydro-static valves in the pool. Anything else that should be done?

Pool plan:

Pool laid out:

View of dig:

Water at about 3 feet:
    20'x34' gunite pool, 7' raised spa, Wet Edge Primera, VS3050 pump, 2x whisperflo pump for water features and in-floor cleaner, CC520 Cartridge filter, Pentair 400k btu heater, Intellichlor IC40, Paramount PV3, Easytouch8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Northern California Build

That's going to be one great looking pool. Keep us updated on your progress!
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dig is complete! I'm excited because I thought for sure it was going to take more than our contracted 2 days but they did finish on time. Didn't finish until late sunset last night so no pics yet.

Water continues to leach out of the soil and is of course collecting in deep end. Pool bottom will be a muddy mess when plumbing for in-floor is installed, hopefully on Monday.
    20'x34' gunite pool, 7' raised spa, Wet Edge Primera, VS3050 pump, 2x whisperflo pump for water features and in-floor cleaner, CC520 Cartridge filter, Pentair 400k btu heater, Intellichlor IC40, Paramount PV3, Easytouch8

4. Back To Top    #4

nice layout!
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the compliments! Mostly my DW's ideas.

Here's a picture of the completed dig. They are probably going to flash with gunite on Monday so nothing collapses and then plumbing on Tuesday.

6. Back To Top    #6

Plumbing is delayed since I placed a contingency in my contract on the in floor cleaner. If my dig wasn't completed in 2 days due to hitting large rocks, I would of had to drop the in floor cleaner to save money (which I probably should of done anyway but that's another story ). PB couldn't order plumbing material until he knew if in floor was a go or not. It is a go so design is complete and rough plumb should begin in the next few days.

In the mean time, they flashed the pool to prevent collapse due to the unusual late-May rains here in Northern California:

Here is the in floor cleaner design:

7. Back To Top    #7

Some of the rough plumbing is completed and the rebar is going in today.

Skimmer and auto-level:

Leaf canister for in-floor:

Pad:

Main trench and some in-floor:

Spa and baja shelf:

More in-floor and still seaping ground water:

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice build! Wow. lots of ground water, where in Northen-Cal are you?

9. Back To Top    #9

We're in the foot hills east of Sacramento.

10. Back To Top    #10

From the look of the houses I guessed you were near me.

Howdy neighbor.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cobra46
    From the look of the houses I guessed you were near me.

Howdy neighbor.
    Same here

Looks like it's going to be fantastic.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the welcome fellow neighbors!

I think it will be great though it will take some time to get the rest of the yard finished. We'll have landscaping, a new wooden deck, and a shade structure of some sort to complete over the next year or two.

13. Back To Top    #13

Good progress over the last 2 days. Rebar was completed, gas and electric run is completed, and more rough plumbing.

Question: water seepage continues though it is very slow. PB says I do not need rock spread along the bottom or a dry well installed. Any opinions on this?

Part of electrical/gas run:

Completed rebar:

Junction box, ball valves for deck jets, and I think air intake for spa jets:

Equipment pad with solar stub and water features added:

14. Back To Top    #14

Make sure in that wading area you get a "mount" for a shade umbrella!
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks taekwondodo. We did indeed get that done.

Here are a few pictures of the gunite that was completed today.

16. Back To Top    #16

Not a whole lot going on this week.

Next week the waterline tile will be placed. It's the 6x6 blue guy in the middle of this photo:

Tile around the outside of the spa will be a custom 2x1 blend of Oceanside Tessera similar to Moroccan Desert but with blue instead of the purple (one other color was swapped too but can't remember which). It was ordered late and won't be here for another 2 weeks.

I'm getting a series of gunite cracks in a line but nothing too big. What should be done with these? None are bigger than 1/8".

Installed some new drainage lines all the way around the pool and fixed the damaged lines. Plumbing trenches were filled with sand first.

17. Back To Top    #17

Looks good. This will be really nice once it is finished.

I really like the shape/design of this pool a lot. These free form styles are by far my favorite.

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

18. Back To Top    #18

Finally making some progress after the owner of the pool company (great guy, great company) had to deal with a death in his family and then got sick himself. My PB helped him pick up the slack and my pool suffered for it. We're back on track though.

Anyhoo, here are some photos.

Water line tile and glass tile around spa. The glass tile always seems to look different every time we look at it. Spillover will be a piece of black granite.

Raised deck with sitting wall and the same glass tile surrounding some water features:

Here is a view of a good portion of the yard. You can get a sense of the deck that will be poured next week, the tiny builder spec porch that I need to re-finish now and eventually rebuild when we have money again, and the serious amount of landscaping work in my future.

19. Back To Top    #19

Decking has been completed and we should get plaster next week!

20. Back To Top    #20

Man that glass tile is a super nice touch!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast