Pool needing work

dmc337

Jun 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I have been recruited by my step-daughter, and wife into opening this monster of a pool. My step-daughter's landlord hasn't opened this one for 2 years. We began by pumping off cover, and removing it to reveal a black, smelly swamp, complete with frogs and tadpoles. I didn't get any pics before we decided to pump out and start fresh. The details are in my sig. I did snap some pics after the pumpout was completed, plus one of the equipment area. My question is...is it ok to leave the missing waterline tiles and separating brick coping alone until next year? The owner just opened a new business and doesn't have the spare funds to repair these. I'm trying to get him to repair/replace any of the damage that we have found. About 1/2 of the tile is gone as you can see. Most of the coping is separating and/or splitting. We did start powerwashing the plaster without losing any of it. We will be refilling from an artesian well on his property...all 64,000 gallons of it. Here's some pics....

butchpool003.jpg

butchpool002.jpg

butchpool004.jpg

butchpool001.jpg

Wow! You have quite a job in front of you there!

I don't see a mastic joint between the coping and the deck, so there is a good chance that water has gotten in behind the pool wall and has separated the coping, as well as loosened the bond between pool wall and the tile. Essentially, the damage has been done (the loose brick will have to be removed, along with the setting bed, and will need to be re-floated and the brick reset), and you won't do any real damage by waiting to re-do the tile and coping (you may lose more), but it does need to be done at some point. Waiting will mean another drain to get in the pool to work later, hence another 64,000 gallons of water and another start up!

Welcome to the 'page! Stick around and you'll have this up and running in no time!

Heading over there tomorrow. Owner said he power washed entire pool and is just about ready to refill. Just need to check if pool drains have covers since spa drain didn't. Also need replacement light covers for 1 pool light and spa light. Hopefully pool store has those in stock. After all is in place, filling should start tomorrow afternoon. Owner is not worried about draining again in spring to do the work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.