Next 2 test results - am I doing okay?

imcj

May 18, 2010
I left my pool pump and SWG running from yesterday at 7:00 am until 4:00 pm. Then I tested at 4:00 pm. Forty five minutes to an hour later I started with the instructions given to me from this site. I added the muriatic acid, bleach and stabilizer.

Test results at 4:00 pm today before all of this was added:
TC 3
FC looked between 1 and 3
TA 240
pH 8.4
Total Hardness (is this what you call calcium on this site) 1000

Test results this morning at 6:30 after running pump for 8 hours last night and SWG for 7 hours:

TC 5
FC 5
TA 120 (this was a little difficult to distinguish)
pH 7.8 (this was difficult to distinguish also, but I'm pretty sure)
Total Hardness 1000. We do have hard water here. Suggestions?

The guy at the store said I needed test strips for bromine - why? These strips test bromine, pH and TA. My other test already does pH and TA.

Thank you so much.

Uh oh, my test doesn't test that. I was going to order the TF100 or TF50 today. Is there an over the counter test I can buy that tests CYA? I didn't notice one at Lowe's. Thank you.

Just wait till you get the kit to test the CYA.

Where are you located.
If that hardness number is correct (your new kit will test that as well), You may want to look into having your water ran through an R.O. unit to bring it down.

{edit}Oops, I just saw that you have an Intex. R.O. might not be feasible. You can test your fill water when you get yoru new kit and post it back here too.{/edit}

I don't know...I went from strips and the TC/PH block thing to the TFT. Someone may be able to point you in the right direction. You need to order that test kit asap. It doesn't pay to try to cut corners because your own testing will be more accurate. That kit is all you will need.

As much as I hate to suggest this...you can get CYA tested at a pool store for now but DON'T buy anything they recommend. Say you've added some stabilizer and you want to confirm your own tests with theirs...I wouldn't trust the result completely and if you have more than one pool store you could get a couple opinions. Have you added CYA? And if so, how much? Without knowing the level you started it is difficult to determine where you are now or should be. I read a few of your other threads and noticed that CYA was suggested several times. (Edited..sorry, I went back and reread what you added (after the coffee hit the brain). :hammer: )

Make notes of your additions and levels as you test them that way you can stay on track and start to trend what is going on.

One step at a time, and keep adding some chlorine each day in the meantime. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.