Pool Area Ipod Remote/Dock?

Aug 28, 2009
I'm just finishing up my planning as my AGP to FauxIGP pool hole is dug. I'm doing an outdoor kitchen area and big deck around the pool.

I'm pretty well set on doing the audio part of it, although I haven't spec'd out all of the components, but the one big missing link is how to deal with the ipods/mp3 players.

The music source (s) will be via wifi/lan on either an extra laptop or pandora streamed directly to the laptop or on the ipod.

Ipod/mp3, cell phones (kids coming over) will also be the other source, which is where I'm having a bit of trouble. I'm concerned about having the ipods right next to the pool, so I figured I'd just provide a dock/connection in the kitchen area (25' away) for them, but then, how to control them (skip songs/shuffle, etc.)

One option would be to use a 12v marine stereo in the kitchen and run the remote for it back to the pool area. Another is simply to run a 3.5mm connection at a small "docking area" at the pool deck so they can plug their devices in right there and just control them, and maybe throw a box of ziplock bags out there.

Anyone have any good ideas for this? Thanks in advance.

I like the Audio Unlimited SPK-VELO-001 Water-Resistant Wireless Speakers with Remote (search Amazon). The speakers work up to 150 ft away and the price is right.
The downside is the speakers have to be powered, but they do hold up to weather. Had one sitting in an inch of water for several days.
Sound is good, which can be controlled by it's remote or from the Ipod.

Good luck :cheers:

Until you decide on what to finally get, you might want to consider this as a temp:
Bought a Sony ZS-S2ip for outdoor use. Has AM/FM, CD and ipod dock. Uses batteries also. Comes with remote. Some reviews noted sound quality was a problem, but we've been using it on the patio (about 30 feet from pool deck), and volume/quality is just fine.
I did have to take the first one back to Best Buy, as the CD didn't work. 2nd one works great.
For $79, can't be beat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.