New to BBB method. Having some trouble..

liljenjennc

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Shelby, NC
I am new to the BBB method this year. I found this website over the winter and have followed this method since opening the pool during April. Up until now things have been great. I purchased the recommended test kit, also. Then, this week there has been a lot of rain. Now the water is getting cloudy, and the pool won't hold it's chlorine. This is a list of current levels:

TC - 1
CC - .5
FC - .5
TA - 110
CH - 120
CYA - 25
PH - between 7.5 and 7.8

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It appears that you need to shock. You can do an overnight chlorine drop test to confirm but I think I'd just go ahead and shock it for a couple of days then do the overnight test to make sure. Also, in NC Your CYA probably isn't quite high enough. I'd bump it to between 30 & 40 AFTER you're done shocking. Low CYA will allow the sun to burn off a good bit of your FC each day. I have mine at 50ppm and still lose about 2ppm FC per day.

Just a follow up to make sure that I'm on the right track. I took the advice of shocking the pool. I added the amount of bleach indicated by the chart at 9:30 this a.m. I just went back out to check(11:45) and did a drop test just to see where I stand:

TC:6
FC: 6
CC:0

Does that sound right? Also, just to clarify- am I supposed to keep the Chlorine at shock level for days? Thanks.

Yes you need to keep the pool at shock level until.
  • You lose 1ppm or less of FC overnight[/*:m:291hjyn2]
  • You have .5CC or less[/*:m:291hjyn2]
  • And if you don't have a FAS-DPD kit, your water is clear[/*:m:291hjyn2]

Here's the article in Pool School about how to shock your pool. Shocking Your Pool

Ok. I shocked all day yesterday - checked level/added every hour. FC dropped 1 overnight. New levels:
(as of 8:30)
FC: 9
CC: .5

I added the recommended amount to get back up to shock level (10). Did a retest of chloring.
10:30:

FC:11
CC: 0

The pool is still very cloudy. You can see the bottom, but not very well. Should I keep shocking or what?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the reply.

But, should I keep shocking. I've met all of the requirements for shocking except the water being clear. The CC is 0, and I only lost 1 ppm on FC last night. The water is just still cloudy... If I shock for long enough will the water just eventually clear up?

If you held your FC to 1 ppm or less in loss overnight, then you no longer need to shock. The cloudiness in the water is likely dead algae and this can be cleared with filtration and backwashing as apporpriate. Run your filter until clear.

Ok. The latest is that the FC is holding steady at 11. I waited 3 hours to test and no change. The CC is still 0. I had intended to continue to shock(add bleach if necessary) until tomorrow morning so that I could do another drop test tonight to be sure. Now, though, the Ph has gone up to between 7.8 and 8.0. Is that a problem?

I didn't know what Sparkle Up was so I had to look,

"BioGuard® Sparkle Up®
Cellulose filtration aid does a phenomenal job in restoring your pool water's sparkle! Removes fine dirt, dead algae, pollen, etc. Also helps in the actual REMOVAL of iron, copper, manganese & other heavy metals from pool water. Can be used with ALL Filter types."

I will guess that the experts will say this is OK, but only if you are already running the filter 24/7. But really, wait for someone more knowledgeable before you do it.

Ok. Here's an update to where I'm at now...

FC: 6
CC: 0
CYA: 40
CH: 125
Ph: 7.5
TA: 130

I shocked last week until I has no FC loss overnight. Also, my CC went down to 0. The pool still doesn't look good, at all, and we are expecting like 20 people next Saturday.. Here are some pictures of what it looks like now. Filter has been running 24/7 with little/no clearing. Help!

poolproblems002.jpg

poolproblems001.jpg

poolproblems003.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.