Leaks at filter joints

May 19, 2010
We are new to pool ownership, just moved into a house with an above ground pool.

We just bought and installed a Hayward xstream 150 cartridge filter. We put it in on Monday and it was leaking from the inlet, we tried pvc glue and teflon tape, did not work. We went and bought all new fittings and hose, double clamped each area and put on teflon tape and cement, and now both the inlet and outlet are leaking. The PSI is 19 and is holding at that.

What else can we try. The pool store told us everything should be air tight and it has been 3 days now and we cannot figure out what we are doing wrong. The old starite filter the old owners had seemed to be glued tight at every fitting, but the store told us clamps and teflon is all we need.

Help!!

I can't tell where the leak at the valve is but if it's leaking at the threads here's what to do.
  • Take all the fittings apart and clean them well.[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Dry the fittings and the threads on the filter & valve[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Get some teflon pipe paste (not tape)[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Spread a good layer on the male threaded ends[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Thread them into the female threads and tighten them snugly.[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • If that union fitting has an o-ring, lube it with silicon lube.[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Reassemble the hoses.[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Tighten the clamps securely.[/*:m:3r8hnape]

That should fix your leaks. If it doesn't, post back and we'll work on it again.

To add to what Bama said, make sure the pipe paste is designed for plastic fittings. The kind for steel might crack the plastic.

I can't tell where the leak at the valve is but if it's leaking at the threads here's what to do.
  • Take all the fittings apart and clean them well.[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Dry the fittings and the threads on the filter & valve[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Get some teflon pipe paste (not tape)[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Spread a good layer on the male threaded ends[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Thread them into the female threads and tighten them snugly.[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • If that union fitting has an o-ring, lube it with silicon lube.[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Reassemble the hoses.[/*:m:3r8hnape]
  • Tighten the clamps securely.[/*:m:3r8hnape]

That should fix your leaks. If it doesn't, post back and we'll work on it again.
I've got the same problem, after replacing my sand filter and reattaching the joints. Can you recommend a brand of Teflon pipe paste? Can't open pool until this is fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.