Going BBB w/ iPhone Pool Calc and TF-100 Kit...

May 17, 2010
First time pool owner here... I'm getting ready to jettison my crappy pool guy that supposedly 'opened' the pool two weeks ago by taking off the cover, allegedly shocking it, poorly vacuuming it, and collecting his money and never coming back. Looks like I stumbled on a fantastic resource here for sure!

Needless to say, I'll be starting my BBB adventure tomorrow and want to make sure I'm taking the correct steps.

Here are my first test results:

pH - 8.2 (calc suggests adding 78oz of muriatic acid)
TA - 220
FC - 0.0 (calc suggests adding 399oz of 6% bleach)
TC - 0.0
CH - 250 (calc suggests adding 13lbs of calcium chloride)
CYA - 60 (calc suggests removing 33% or ~9k gallons of water)

Pool temp is currently 68F and climbing... should be up to 73-75 tomorrow by mid afternoon. The water is crystal clear during the day and only shows a hint of noticeable milkiness at night when I have the light on. I did see the water when the cover was removed and it looked clear.

Looking mostly for confirmation that I'm on the right track with the above actions. Target CA is 40, however the pool does get full sun from 11am-sunset, so I'm wondering how critical it is to get it down / remove water as I'm not thrilled about having to drain and fill.

Tom

CYA at 60 is managable, and it will gradually drop as long as you don't use any stabilized chlorine. Your plan sounds pretty good; you likely will need to shock the pool since the FC is at zero and it's getting cloudy (that could also be calcium clouding, see below...). I wouldn't worry about the calcium yet; it will be OK at 250 as long as you don't let the pH get too low.

Right now your pH is waaay too high, and the clouding you see could be due to suspended calcium scale. Lower that pH pronto! Keep in mind it could also be higher than 8.2, since that's probably the highest your kit can read. It may take several doses to get it down.

pH, then chlorine, then think about other stuff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.