Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going BBB w/ iPhone Pool Calc and TF-100 Kit...

1. Back To Top    #1

Going BBB w/ iPhone Pool Calc and TF-100 Kit...

First time pool owner here... I'm getting ready to jettison my crappy pool guy that supposedly 'opened' the pool two weeks ago by taking off the cover, allegedly shocking it, poorly vacuuming it, and collecting his money and never coming back. Looks like I stumbled on a fantastic resource here for sure!

Needless to say, I'll be starting my BBB adventure tomorrow and want to make sure I'm taking the correct steps.

Here are my first test results:

pH - 8.2 (calc suggests adding 78oz of muriatic acid)
    TA - 220
    FC - 0.0 (calc suggests adding 399oz of 6% bleach)
    TC - 0.0
    CH - 250 (calc suggests adding 13lbs of calcium chloride)
    CYA - 60 (calc suggests removing 33% or ~9k gallons of water)

Pool temp is currently 68F and climbing... should be up to 73-75 tomorrow by mid afternoon. The water is crystal clear during the day and only shows a hint of noticeable milkiness at night when I have the light on. I did see the water when the cover was removed and it looked clear.

Looking mostly for confirmation that I'm on the right track with the above actions. Target CA is 40, however the pool does get full sun from 11am-sunset, so I'm wondering how critical it is to get it down / remove water as I'm not thrilled about having to drain and fill.

Tom
    25k gallon IG Plaster Pool, Single Skimmer, Pentair Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Century B854 1.5HP Centurion Pump, Polaris with BP4 Booster Pump, Rheem 266k BTU Heater

Looking for fun in the limited Michigan sun :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going BBB w/ iPhone Pool Calc and TF-100 Kit...

CYA at 60 is managable, and it will gradually drop as long as you don't use any stabilized chlorine. Your plan sounds pretty good; you likely will need to shock the pool since the FC is at zero and it's getting cloudy (that could also be calcium clouding, see below...). I wouldn't worry about the calcium yet; it will be OK at 250 as long as you don't let the pH get too low.

Right now your pH is waaay too high, and the clouding you see could be due to suspended calcium scale. Lower that pH pronto! Keep in mind it could also be higher than 8.2, since that's probably the highest your kit can read. It may take several doses to get it down.

pH, then chlorine, then think about other stuff
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

What Melt In The Sun said, plus I would bring the PH down to between 7.0 and 7.2. That will help to lower the TA level, which is too high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP

In MI a CYA of 60 may be a little high but as MITS said, it's manageable.

Your TA's high but you can work on bringing that down over time.

I'll just second what MITS said, pH, FC, other.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    pH, then chlorine, then think about other stuff
    Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes!
    25k gallon IG Plaster Pool, Single Skimmer, Pentair Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Century B854 1.5HP Centurion Pump, Polaris with BP4 Booster Pump, Rheem 266k BTU Heater

Looking for fun in the limited Michigan sun :)