Pool light went out!

estogo

Jul 14, 2009
Houston
Hey guys,

My pool is only two years old this August and my dang main light went out! Checked all the breakers and the GCFI, all fine (all other equipment and the spa light are fine also).

So I'm calling up Blue Haven tomorrow and hope this is covered in my "warranty" (but with Blue Haven here it can be iffy even if it's supposed to be covered).

I'm pretty sure that this thing shouldn't have gone out for a MUCH longer time but if it indeed has is it generally pretty expensive to fix (assuming it's something as simple as the bulb burning out)?

Also, in case it is just the bulb, any ideas on cooler lights than the default incandescent bulb that comes with?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks guys

Well, if it isn't covered by BH, it's a fairly straightforward fix. If it is a standard 300 watt bulb, they run anywhere from about $25 to over $50. You can get several different types of bulbs for it though, from LEDs to ones that change colors. Lots of options.

IIRC, lights carry a one year warranty (and Blue Haven is out of business here :shock: ). While they should last longer (of course cycling on and off does wear them out, so if you use it every day you probably got your money's worth!).

Bulbs are easy to replace, and it is probably not a bad idea to learn how to do it yourself. There is plenty of "umbilical cord" on the light to get it up on the deck, so just swim down and remove the screw. The light should tip up and out (there should be a tab on the light ring that fits into the light niche) and the whole assembly should come free. Take it up on the deck, replace the bulb and reinstall. The bigger lights are usually 500 watt around here, but like 257WbyMag said, there are lots of options.

Take the money you saved by doing it and buy yourself something nice :cheers:

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I was definately thinking this job would be tough. (have to drain, not electrocute myself, etc.) But after hearing your advice I'll try this myself.

As always thanks again for your great advice.

Love this forum!

Cool, thanks. I want to change the bulbs in mine with LED's, but while I'm saving up some cash for that project, I want to put in some 300 watt equivalent CFL's to cut down on the electric bill (we swim at night A LOT). I guess I'll order a few gaskets before I try these new bulbs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.