FC 0.5
CC 1.5
TC 2
pH 7.2
T/A 180
CH
CYA 40
Temp 60

I'd like to shock, so I can get to a baseline quickly.
My pump is up and running.
My cover (black tarp-like pool cover) is on.
Pool is starting to look a tad green.
I've put 3 96oz jugs of cheap bleach (5.25%?) in sporadically since April.

Should I tackle pH or FC first?

I have 2 128oz jugs of 6% bleach ready to go, and the grocery store 1 mile away stocks it.
I also have 3 1lb bags of SunGuard Multishock (Cal Hypo 47.6% and Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate 29.8%). I would like to use these up since I have them, if I can.

Pool Calculator says
3.2 jugs (128oz jugs) or 3lbs 7 oz of the Cal Hypo
36oz of Borax

On dry chemicals, should I get a large measuring cup that does ounces?

your PH is just right for shocking and you should do that now. Go ahead with the bags of shock since that will take all of them and some bleach after to make shock level. Not sure about the question on the dry measure I normally weigh my dry chem's. Hold the shock level untill the CC is .5 or less then correct the PH. After that your TA is high use muratic acid and airate to offset the ph drop it will cause.

Don't worry about the PH. You didn't list your CH level. Cal-hypo adds calcium. Depending on what your current CH level is, that may or may not be a good idea. Chances are fairly good that using cal-hypo will be fine, but if it is easy to get a CH level first, that would be best.

Cleaning things up should be relatively easy, because the water is fairly cold. Algae doesn't grow very well in the cold, so it is easier to kill.

Ok, I found I had 4 bags of the shock. I mixed it in 10 gallons of water (2 5 gallon pails) and slowly added it in front of the return. I did this this morning. I didn't have time to wait and check the levels after an hour, had to go to work. I'll try to check first thing when I get home. I'll be home all day tomorrow, so I may run out and get some more 6% bleach to maintain the shock till FC levels off.

Next time I check, I'll do CH, but according to the strips, it was within range. I just didn't have time to check last night with the good kit.
(I should be waiting till Friday, so I have time to do things right, but I'm too excited. :) )

Ok... something's eating my chlorine...
Today is going to be the day to kick this in the butt.
Just did another test. (Second, didn't get to yesterday.)
Date 05/21/10
FC 1
CC 4
TC 6
pH 7.2
T/A 200
CH 120
CYA 65
Temp 64

So, something's eating my chlorine... I'm going to bring to shock level with bleach (since the SunGuard raised my CYA and I don't have any.) And I'll try to maintain it through the day.

To lower TA you're supposed to lower pH and aerate. Nobody around to help take the cover off, how can I aerate... or can I wait on that.

If you really want to kick this thing in the butt...put on some coffee and go into infant care mode. One or two sleepless nights this weekend will make a world of difference in progress. The night I made serious shocking progress it was 1030 pm and I went back out to walmart and got more bleach. I felt like I'd come too far to go to sleep. I kept at it through the night till about 1am, then I was up early to hit it again. Keep notes so you remember what you add. My husband thought I was nuts but that weekend we were blinded by the sparkliness!

:goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, not enough chlorine on hand. Those three jugs will only bring your FC to about 20 (barely shock level for your CYA) assumming zero FC now. You prob should go ahead and get some more jugs just to avoid having to make extra trips. Better to have extra on hand rather than run out in the middle of a shock and the store be closed.

PG22 is right that if you do this mostly at night and stay with it, you can get way ahead in a hurry! No sun in competition for the chlorine :cool:

I didn't think there would be much sun consumption since the covers still on. I will get more chlorine. I already had some. $2.59 a jug at the store. I'm going to see if Lowe's has some liquid chlorine (12%).

2 questions.
My water is a little low, so I was going to fill for 30 minutes. Would that aerate a little to lower TA? (I know it's not a biggie right now, but just curious.)

2nd if I'm only adding 6% bleach, do I need to check the CYA every hour? Or can I just test for TC/CC levels every hour to maintain shock levels?

Ok, I tested, and got 3 FC and 8 CC. Didn't do CYA yet.

Question 3) I was doing the FC test, and every time I got it clear (1st at 1, then at 2) I was going to add R-003 to do the CC test, but it started getting pink again. It stopped when I got to FC 3. Thoughts?

The FC test will always turn pink again if you let it sit too long. Normally, when the CC level is very low, it won't turn pink again for a minute or two. But if the CC level is relatively high, it will turn pink again fairly quickly. You should have the sample turn completely clear for at least five seconds of swirling, and then move on to the CC portion of the test, even if it turns pink again after the five seconds are up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.