Should I shock again?

vinnie

Mar 12, 2009
Hi pool was opened on Monday (by a pool company). They supposedly are to put an initial shock into the pool. The pool was overloaded with algae, even worse then green it was basically black. I let it sit overnight since the company supposedly shocked and it turned to more of a green the next day (yesterday). So I took my levels and my FC was at .5. So I went ahead and put 12 gallons of liquid bleach (used the pool calc and used mustard algae option). Today it's beginning to look blue..ish...but is very cloudy. I did a complete test, my combined chlorine is crazy high, here are my levels.

FC - 1
CC - 8
PH - 7.8
T/A - 90
CH - 140 (tested even though my pool is vinyl)
CYA - 30

Should I go ahead and shock again? If so how much ??

keep adding that chlorine...your not done shocking

Measure the FC level

Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level

Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, as often as once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
CC is 0.5 or lower;

An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;

And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.

The goal of shocking is to add enough chlorine to oxidize all of the algae, combined chlorine, bacteria, viruses, ammonia, and other organic contaminates. Oxidization breaks down the organic molecules into smaller parts which are harmless. When shocking, you need to keep adding chlorine until the breakdown process is complete.

Higher FC levels will oxidize contaminates more quickly, but levels that are too high can cause damage to the pool or the pool equipment. Recommended shock levels are designed to break down contaminates reasonably quickly while posing minimal risk to the pool. It is impossible to know in advance just how much chlorine will be required to shock the pool. Instead, chlorine is added to maintain shock level until testing shows that the process is complete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.