1st big issue in 9 years

snoopy55

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2009
Dothan AL
After 9 years or so of reading pool solutions and now Trouble Free Pool I have a problem which may have been self generated but is getting the best of me. I started to notice that I was getting some sort of staining on the sides of my pool and suspected that it may be some slow to show up metal stain after all these years. I read about the Asorbic Acid treatment and tried the Vit C pills crushed to see if the stain lifted. It was amazing to watch as the stain quickly cleared from my white bottom pool as I rubbed the Vit C onto it. I considered the AA treatment but got lazy and went to the All clear store to see what they had. Of course their guidance was that the Vit C bit and AA treatment was bunk and I should use Jacks Magic. I bought the kit to determine which stain I had. By the results it was a copper and scale treatment that was required. I spent the bucks and bought the blue stuff and the 3 containers of the Jacks powder for copper and scale. I got the water to the prescribed chem levels and began the treatment. That's when all the problems began. Every since I have had cloudy water, algae on the walls and no luck getting back to my sparkling clear water again. I just super Shocked my 16,200 pool adding enough 12.5 chlorine to bring the FC up to 24. I did clean my filters prior to this and now I'm doing battle trying to figure it all out. Here are my numbers before the big shock but after a mini shock yesterday.

FC .5 CC 9 TA 90 CH 290 CYA 40 Temp 74 16,200 gal in ground pool.

I did notice this morning after the first shock attempt that there was something at the bottom of the pool on all sides that could be dead algae. It goes away with a bruch but comes back after the water settles. I will do the FC loss overnight today.

Oh yeah, go with Butterfly's advice and shock. Keep the pump running and shock until your FC holds overnight to a loss of no more than 1 ppm of FC.

a new day and new numbers.
FC 15.5 and CC 20 The overnight FC loss was only .5. I checked it late last night and early this morning.

I brushed the pool and could see the dead algae at the bottom of all the walls. It seems to go away with the brushing. Pump still running. Water still cloudy. Should I continue keeping the FC level at 16 until the CC comes down? I'm guessing yes to continue battling until the CC breaks which would mean what ever is being worked on is almost gone. Thanks for the support post. Memorial Day just around the corner and I want in that pool...... posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=21385#

Update, on the high CC. I continued for 2 days keeping my Chlorine level at 16 which was shock for my CYA number. The CC went down and down of course and finally this morning only .5 CC. I'm headed to normal and won't let this happen again. Thru it all Trouble Free Pools had the best solution as always. It was interesting though, hanging out in the various pool stores and listening to one right after the other come in and throw their pool problem at the store. They always had a pricey product as a solution. I realize they have to make money and it will be at our expense if we are not educated on the basics as we learn them here. Thanks again for the best and often cheapest solutions.

snoopy55 said:
Update, on the high CC. I continued for 2 days keeping my Chlorine level at 16 which was shock for my CYA number. The CC went down and down of course and finally this morning only .5 CC. I'm headed to normal and won't let this happen again. Thru it all Trouble Free Pools had the best solution as always. It was interesting though, hanging out in the various pool stores and listening to one right after the other come in and throw their pool problem at the store. They always had a pricey product as a solution. I realize they have to make money and it will be at our expense if we are not educated on the basics as we learn them here. Thanks again for the best and often cheapest solutions.

So glad you have a resolution. :goodjob:

My local Leslie's store manager is very supportive of BBB method and uses in his pool. He has told me on several occasions that most people just don't want to hear the details and only want to be told what to put in the pool, no matter the cost. I've witnessed this in person at the store. I've seen the customers, "glaze over" when he attempts to have them spend less money.

I am DH's personal computer tech. Always ready to solve issues even if I'm broken down somewhere in the boonies. Cell phone conversation, when cell phone coverage was scant even in metropolitan areas; couldn't get reception till dark. gg, "I'm broken down, only one Sheriff and one deputy, in this huge county. They haven't located someone to come to assist, it's getting very dark, college kids just graduated and celebrating, Memorial day week end, Saturday night. Some college kids are keeping me company but I'm very busy keeping them from wandering into the highway. It's 95 F and humid, and I can't get the trailer generator to kick in. No one, so far has a lug wrench that fits the trailer lug nuts." ... sigh ... DH, "How are the dogs. Please help me with this computer problem."

He knows I can take care of myself but one of the dogs was on IV's for kidney failure.

Every once in a while he asks me, "What would I do if I didn't have you for my computer support?" Answer, "You wouldn't use a computer, or you'd be spending loads of money for in house support, several times a month, or you'd buy a new computer every time you had a simple issue (that happens over and over with Windblows)." (He wont' wait online for support.) This guy has an IQ that is so high it really isn't measurable (for what ever a measured IQ really means or counts for), he has several undergraduate degrees in sciences and math, plus, graduate degree in biochemistry, he made it through medical school without opening a book, he has two Specialities, he flunked out of collage but still made it into medical school because he had one of the highest entry test scores in the US, but he can't remember, actually doesn't want to bother remembering, how to solve a simple operating system glitch, that happened last month, and the month before, and the month before.

That describes some of your typical Pool Store Junkies but most have more "normal" intelligence, like most of us.

The sheriff finally arrived and his lug wrench in car didn't fit, so he went home to get another one which didn't fit. After several hours he was able to locate someone to help. He had to go home to get a lug wrench that fit. I was in the boonies of far west SW Kentucky when I finally pulled in to the nearest motel, in the wee hours, and I didn't have any booze. :cry: Dogs were fine and enjoyed the attention from the kids.

On a side note, no matter how hard I try to experience "boredom" it just won't happen. :rant:

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.