is 5ppm FC loss in a day normal?

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
I did overnight loss test and lost 0ppm FC from yesterday evening to this morning. CC still at 0

Kids swam today for about 3 hours. According to local weather data temp got up to 76F today. Pool gets direct sunlight for a few hours.

I don't remember losing that much FC a day last year.

I recently posted numbers from last night, here they are again:

TA=60
CH=0
CYA=50
PH=7.6 (could be 7.8, I'm using a cheap no-name kit for PH right now, have a Taylor on the way).

It depends on the FC level. If it is 10 ppm or above, that might be a normal loss. If the FC level is 5 ppm in the morning and 0 at night, that is a different issue.

With CYA at 50, losing about 50% of your starting FC level over 24 hours to sunlight is normal. With many hours of swimming, additional loses are to be expected. So, 5 ppm might well be reasonable, depending on what your starting FC level was.

sorry... forgot to add that info. It was in my other thread.

Starting FC was 8.

Pool calc says recommended CYA level is 30 to 50, recommended FC is 4-8. My CYA was at 50 so I'm trying to maintain upper level of recommended FC at 8.

I'll need a little more than a gallon of 6% a day I guess.

hmm...one gallon...I know that's about 5ppm in 13.5k gals, but that seems excessive. We have the same size pool...pool is exposed to sunlight from 7am-4pm...I never recall burning through that much

If that is truly your chlorine requirement you may be better off just getting an intex swg...that's a lot of bleach

Oh I trust you Jason...just seems like a lot of bleach daily for a 24" pool. Then again every pool is slightly diff and we did use the solar cover a lot which would also help hold the chlorine levels

dmanb2b said:
If that is truly your chlorine requirement you may be better off just getting an intex swg...that's a lot of bleach
Yes and a lot of trips to the store as I don't have a 'handy' place to store 30 gallons of bleach (monthly usage, I hate hauling bleach bottles). And I'm trying to find 10-12.5% for two reasons, hopefully cheaper per ppm and also less storage space.

I also agree about the Intex SWG. I think I see it in my near future in about a month :)

JasonLion said:
That chlorine loss makes a lot of sense, given two+ kids swimming for three hours. 50% loss would be about 3-4 ppm to sunlight and an additional 1-2 ppm for kids swimming, give or take.
3 kids actually. At least I know it's somewhat 'normal'. It's ok as long as I know I'm doing everything right. I guess last year I wasn't as consistent as I'm trying to be now. I would just dump some bleach in every day but not check it but once a week. I knew I wasn't putting too much and had to end up shocking a few times because of not adding enough so I'm on top of it this year with knowing exactly how much is used a day.

dmanb2b said:
and we did use the solar cover a lot which would also help hold the chlorine levels
Yeah I want to get a solar cover eventually. I think first I'll get the Intex SWG as it's not a whole lot more than a good cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.