Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jimk reporting for duty !

1. Back To Top    #1

Jimk reporting for duty !

Hello there ! I live in Burbank, California and have a smallish below ground pool. It's about 14' wide by 25' in length and I don't know too much about the equipment. I've been lurking for a while but I thought I would sign up and ask a few questions and seek advice. I have a weekly pool service and he does an OK job I think but it is a monthly expense I could do without. Judging from what I have read on here it shouldn't be too difficult for me to maintain my own pool so I may give it a go. When I got the pool (when I bought the house 10 years ago) it had a vinyl liner. Well that perished after about two years and I had a "proper" pool installed. So, that's where I am at !!
    15,000 gallons, IG, Plaster, Pentair 2000 DE Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jimk reporting for duty !

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What's a "proper" pool?? :P
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    How rude of me, that came out wrong !
    15,000 gallons, IG, Plaster, Pentair 2000 DE Filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hey, Jim,

You will find tons of nice folks here willing to answer almost any question about pools. We're glad you're here!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jimk
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    How rude of me, that came out wrong !
    Not rude, just not clear.

Did you go to fiberglass or to white or colored plaster or to some of the pebble finish surfaces? You see, it makes a difference in what the right chemical balance is for your pool. The surface matters.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, Jimk.

Get out there and give my pool a good brushing, followed by a complete vacuuming. Also, the lawn needs mowing. And don't forget to edge. When you're done with that, there's a juniper hedge out front that needs topping. I'll find some more stuff for you to do by the time you're caught up
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!