How do I vacuum the pool?

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
When I was a teenager, my dad had a round AGP. I didn't pay enough attention to the cleaning.

I was looking at Pool School and didn't see anything about vacuuming.

I know that generally you want the pool and water settled when you vacuum. Do you have tips/procedures/gotchas that I should be aware of?

When the water is warm enough I just get in with the pump running and hook up the vacuum and slowly ease around and vacuum the whole pool. It's kinda relaxing really. Ther biggest hint I can give you is to go slowly.

Agreed, go slowly, I tend to do it with a beverage close by, or in my other hand. Its similar to vacuuming the floor in the house, get all the corners and nooks, around the edges. For my IG, the dirt tends to settle in the creases and seams of the liner, and along the slopes.

mkenyon2 said:
When I was a teenager, my dad had a round AGP. I didn't pay enough attention to the cleaning.

I was looking at Pool School and didn't see anything about vacuuming.

I know that generally you want the pool and water settled when you vacuum. Do you have tips/procedures/gotchas that I should be aware of?
Sneak up on the dirt. Move the head sloooooooooooow, so that the suction pulls the dirt in as you approach, rather than the water displaced by the head pushing it away.

It's also easier to do without direct sunlight on it. Less glare.

And as I learned yesterday, skim the surface before you start. I got awfully frustrated trying to vacuum up a shadow. :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.