Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Calculator readings OK?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Calculator readings OK?

Well here are my latest pool calculator stats. Please tell me if I am on the right track:

FC 5
    PH 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 300
    CYA 70
    Borate 50
    Salt 4100
    Temp 85 *

My CSI index is -.42. I have a Diamond Brite finish (Tahoe Blue) with some calcium deposits. I want to enjoy my pool during swim season and will take care of the cd after the season is over. Is this is acceptalbe limite? Thanks
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Calculator readings OK?

Looks real good to me!

Salt looks a little high but I'm not familiar with the Resilience SWCG's so it might be prefect too.

With a CSI of -.42 some of those deposits might dissolve over the swim season.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I just checked my ph and it was 7.7. On 5/17/10 it was 7.4. I was hoping that by adding the 50 ppm borate that this would help slow the ph rise. Also I have the pump only running 8 hrs and the SWG is only on 35 %. I made sure that my jet is turned toward the bottom so that it is not aerating the surface. Is there anything that I missed. By the was my pool is in a screened enclosure.
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

4. Back To Top    #4

Wait, and see if the PH stabilizes around 7.7-7.8 or not. You can also let your TA drift down a little lower, into the 50 to 60 range.

The lower PH is, the more it is going to "want" to drift up. So going up from 7.4 doesn't really mean anything. Depending on the amount of aeration you have, you can often get things to stabilize with TA around 60 and PH around 7.7-7.8.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If I get the TA down to 60 and the ph goes up to 7.8 my CSI index would be -.43. This seems high to me especially with CH at 300. At what point is the index too high?

6. Back To Top    #6

-0.43 isn't high. I like to target a CSI value around -0.3, so if anything it is a tiny bit low. However, small changes in CSI really don't matter, so it isn't a big deal either way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School